Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris is serious about racing-Signed Matt Smiley plus a lot more---AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris is serious about racing-Signed Matt Smiley plus a lot more---AWESOME

This is the best news I've heard.

Congrats to Matt. From the gnccracing.com website:

Polaris Shows Commitment to ATV Racing with 2005 Contingency Plans & Pro ATV Racing Contract

Polaris Signs Top 5 GNCC Racer & Launches Comprehensive
Pro & Youth ATV Racing Program. Contingency details to be set next week.

Minneapolis, January 11, 2005 – Polaris Industries today announced its 2005 ATV Racing Sponsorship and its first, and the industry’s largest, GNCC Contingency Program for all ATV classes and the first ever ATV youth GNCC contingency. The move transitions Polaris away from TT racing and in to GNCC racing, which is more consistent with high performance trail riding.

GNCC Racer Sponsorship

Polaris signed Matt Smiley, a 13-year veteran and a top five GNCC racer the last eight consecutive years, to a sponsorship contract whereby Smiley will be Polaris’ first GNCC factory-sponsored racer. The sponsorship includes marketing and promotions, but most importantly, Smiley will provide critical engineering feedback and future product development assistance. Having a consistent and tough GNCC racer on board will help Polaris create stronger trail racing products in the future.

“We’re thrilled to have Matt representing Polaris on the racing front,” said Bennett Morgan, vice president and general manager for the ATV Division at Polaris. “This move signals our commitment to the high performance end of the market and our partnership is in keeping with our trail tough, track ready strategy. GNCC racing is much more true to what the majority of our consumers experience, as compared to track racing and therefore it’s a better alignment for Polaris.”

Smiley will race on a modified 2005 Predator 500 Troy Lee Edition machine. The stock model recently was awarded the “Sport ATV of the Year” by The ATV Guide.

“One of my goals for 2005 is to dedicate more of my time and effort to pro GNCC racing and working with Polaris will help me do that,” said Matt Smiley, GNCC pro class racer. “The Predator is a killer machine with a ton of potential. I’m looking forward to influencing future product modifications and components to make it an even stronger trail threat.”
Smiley will be managed by Safari Motorsports under the direction of Jay Gobel. Details of the contract are not disclosed.

Contingency Program

A first for Polaris and the largest ATV GNCC contingency to date, the company will have a contingency program for all GNCC ATV classes including youth racing in 2005. The potential pay out for GNCC is $250,000 and across all GNCC ATV classes, including the class champion. The maximum per race pay out is $2000 for the pro class. Polaris is currently the only manufacturer offering a contingency program for the new youth circuit. The potential pay out for youth is $10,000 and is available to all three classes, with a maximum per race pay out of $150. Details on both contingency programs will be posted on the GNCC Racing web site as well as the Polaris Industries’ web site – www.polarisindustries.com. Look for details on payouts, rules and classes next week.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Polaris is serious about racing-Signed Matt Smiley plus a lot more---AWESOME

what happened to ur pred?!?!!?

Old 01-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I'm racing in the old man class. Utility stock. My body is just taken to much abuse.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 06:42 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

This is great.....thanks for the info GE4x4.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

The contingency money is huge. The biggest of all. They allmost doubled what Kawi gave. Plus giving youths money for racing is unheard of.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

And people were panicking when they went seperate ways from the Rath crew. See....it's all business. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Not to take away from any of the Rath/Polaris tallies, but this is a pretty cool move. Hmmm, maybe it's a good thing the backup DSLR just showed up....gonna be a long photographic summer. Now, back to that low camera angle with the Predator streaking towards the woods. As it pulls back for a wider shot, the "other" brands are viewed running like bunnies. Hehe, it's good to be orange...and fast.

Good luck to all! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2005, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

This is HUGE! With Kawi stepping down and Polaris stepping to the forefront this should really help get more Polaris riders out on the tracks to spotlight their potential and eventually help in sales and recognition in the racing world.

I always wanted to see more Predators on the track, now the magazines BETTER step up and praise and acknowledge Polaris for this effort.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I know a certain magazine which has been on the Predators side the entire time....hmm, the name somehow escapes me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Don't forget to head on over to predatorowners.com and vote for predator of the year. But of course always refer right back here to the connection for the latest.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Ken you have my vote.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

Congrats to Matt! There isn't a racer out there who isn't hoping for someone to step up and take some of the financial burden of racing away.

Modquad is right it isn't always about the $$. It's business a different goal sends people in different directions. Daryl wanted to be more competitive in the 450 class MX/TT and Polaris has stepped up and made a commitment to Cross Country that is great for the predator owners out there racing GNCC. Now it is in the riders hands to make sure Polaris has to pay out some of that carrot by finishing strong. The Rath crew still has some secrets on making that bike fast and lighter which it will need to be in the woods. We built a Predator Cross Country bike for the 12 hours of America went the whole race without a mechanical failure!!

Modquad you were wrong about the Rath Crew and Polaris splitting ways...he is still has a ton of knowledge and EXPERIENCE racing those things and the parts are still being developed and made, he just isn't under contract any longer which allows him to develop and design and race products of his choice. The Rath crew isn't splitting from the Predator products with his new KTM/Predator bike those products just keep getting better!

Quick Reply: Polaris is serious about racing-Signed Matt Smiley plus a lot more---AWESOME