Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

brambles whats the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brambles whats the scoop?

Originally posted by: Brambles
I think the quiet core did do the quieting, but I'm not sure what made it go pithy.

I have been changing my weights quite a bit so I don't know how much difference the 10 discs made.

Are you bringing your 500 HO up or your 400
is your 400 4wd?

Brambles
not sure which to bring depends on the riding i geuss and no the 400 is 2 wheel but it goes most places with the tls swampers on it i geuss i could bring both the 400 is alot faster than a 660 grizz that my buddy has

Old 01-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Range Rover

Go with the 500 HO, 4wd comes in real handy when trying to get over fallen trees and rocks. There arn't many places that are long enough to really open the 400 up around here, and if you go sliding off a corner around here you'll probably die, I had a friend that tried it and the cliff he went over won. If you have the room, I guess it doesn't hurt to bring both!!

Brambles

Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

well got home ripped the box open and went into the garage popped the stocker of looked at the new muff went to midas and got buddy to spread it abit whipped on and seen what you meant about that gasket so i trimmed about 1/8" off the new muff and clamped it on and did some alot of cutting ,drilling,filing and made a bracket and tacked it on and i will tig it at work tomorrow. DAMM 12 DISCS WAS LOUD it was louder than my 400 so i took out 4 discs and is better.no q-core in it yet as i want to see what it is like first sound good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] i will post a pic later

Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Range Rover

LoL
12 discs is loud eh, can't wait to see your mount. I don't understand about cutting 1/8" off the new muffler, how that would make it fit? I guess when I see the pictures it will be clear.
How much quieter did removing 4 discs make it?
I did a bunch of weight and jet testing today, and am at a real *** end heavy 46 gram setting, with this its reving at about 6200 on my little 150 ft uphill strip, should be about right on the flat.
I went to the dealer to talk shop with a couple of guys and they threw me the keys to the 800 efi and the king quad 700 efi. All I can say is holy sh*t batman they are both wicked fast quads but I still perfer the feel of the polaris. They have a 750 brute force as well but I didn't drive that one. The sales guy took the 800 in high range and hammered the throttle sitting on the seat, no handle bar tugging and did a catwalk just on the verge of flipping backwards totally awesome. I wish I had the $12,000 cdn to buy one. Brambles

Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

okay you know where the slits are on the muff i cut off 1/8 off there so it slides on and i can still use the stock muff with no mods.my mount was a 2" pc of 1.5x2" alum i stood it up so it looked like yours and trimmed it on a angle to fit .it would look close to yours . well taking 4 discs out did make it a litter better they say 4 disks is like stock so ithought i would double it to start with and go from there. i dont expect 10hp like on the 400 but i just wanted a bit more to stay ahead of buddys 04 660 grizz i can take him out of the hole but he hunts me down at the end of the lake that we were on back at christmas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] i just bring the smallblock and kick his a$$ he keeps queit then. i want to see yours go againest mine to see the diffrence[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: braveops
i want to see yours go againest mine to see the diffrence[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Yeah, you know the story when the guy who has a stock machine slays a guy's quad who just spent a ton of money on performance parts. Well this could very easily happen. You being the stock machine and me being the one with the performance parts.
I'll either be smiling or crying!!
I might install my dial a jet tomorrow and get that running and tuned.

Brambles

Old 01-26-2005, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

aint that the truth. im sending pics to ya

Old 01-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

well i took it for a rip down my driveway with 5,8 discs and q-core not sure it did anything did you have to jet up after running the muff ? i dont mind the noise if it does something but dont want it if i dont need it.will keep playing with it for now

Old 01-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

Ive been changing stuff left, right and center lately. I'm having trouble getting the combination right on my selection of parts, I think I may be lean even with my dial a jet. I seemed to have my best power (before the dial a jet) with a richer jet and 12 discs, I was running a 155 dynojet jet and the needle on the 2nd or 3rd position, I can't remember. I changed that setup because when I revved it up in the garage the exhaust was blackish but the lowend torque seemed good and was revving at about 5700rpm with 51.6 gram weights. I am now running 46 gram weights, most of the weight on the lowend screw, very little on the second screw and none on the topend screw, dial a jet(installed yesterday) 146 dynojet, needle on the 3rd position, 8 discs + quiet core. I took it out on a straight stretch about 300 yards long and all I could get was 5700 rpm and 53 mph, I did run out of room and the mph was still climbing so the mph doesn't concerm me but the rpm's are low, I want 6500. I then took it in the snow(real crappy snow too) and was gunning it up a small hill and looked down at the tach and it said it was 6800 rpm, The engine didn't seem to be revving that high. I them took it down to the straight stretch again and tried it again and 5700 rpm. I think the weights are light enough to be spinning at higher rpm's so I think the jetting is lean, when I was under load in the snow the dial a jet kicked it and richened the mixture and allowed the engine to rev up to its full potential. I'm going to have to play around a bit to get it right. If it can do 53 mph and climbing at 5700 rpm, i wonder what it will do at 6500 rpm?
I had to go back to work today so the next chance to work on it will be Saturday during the day and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
Another thought, at home my test strip is a short 150-200 ft uphill section, and at the end of that I am running 6200 rpm with my current setup, but on the flat i am running 5700 rpm. What this say to me is the dial a jet does respond to engine load and this could prove to be tricky for tuning!!

Any tips on tuning this would be appreciated.

Brambles

Old 01-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

[ at home my test strip is a short 150-200 ft uphill section, and at the end of that I am running 6200 rpm with my current setup, but on the flat i am running 5700 rpm. What this say to me is the dial a jet does respond to engine load and this could prove to be tricky for tuning!!

Any tips on tuning this would be appreciated.

Brambles[/quote]

well this sounds like my test strip my driveway uphill. i went to 9 discs and not tried it yet. i told u it could be a headache all that suff at once i think i might be lean to 147.5 main and the needle is at the top or down 1 i need more of a run to setup if i were u i think i would put the clutching back to stock or close to. once it is jetted then go on to the pipe then clutching u have so much there u could be fighting againest something else.i would even go as far as running your 44gms and primary spring once you know the jetting is good you just have to play with where you want it to run.

Quick Reply: brambles whats the scoop?