Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I need a new battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new battery

The battery in my 04 600 sportsman is dead. It's gone flat before, I've charged it, the battery icon flashes when I ride it. Went to start it the other day, and it was dead. Charged it for a little while and it started, but I'm sure it's dead again by now. (it's been very cold here, anywhere from -15 to +20 degrees for over a week) What I'm wondering is, is there an aftermarket battery that I can get at Walmart or an auto parts store, or am I stuck paying the premium price for a Polaris replacement?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Be sure that you get a sealed battery. Like a gel battery. When I had to replace mine I went the cheap route and had to screw with adding my own acid. It was a pain in my butt and the battery casing was so dark that you couldn't see the levels of the battery. I had to shine a flashlight through the back and then you couldn't see all levels. Trust me. Spend a little extra money and get a sealed gel battery. Get them on line at its free shipping for most.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

It is a "Black Polaris" battery? I had this one in my 2004.5 and it went bad too. My dealer swapped it out for the updated battery and it turns it over a lot better when it is cold and I am running the winch for the plow.

He showed me a pile of the black batteries that they have replaced.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, guys. Ya, it's a "black" battery. Do you know if the updated battery is the one that comes in the 05s now? How much did you pay? Also, I've searched the web and only found one site that even offered a battery specifically for the 04 600. Don't know if it's a gel type, but it did say it was "factory-activated", which I asume means no need to add electrolyte. It was 86.99 and no free shipping.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know how much Polaris wants for them. My dealer warrantied mine. Yes I do believe it is the same battery that comes in the 2005's, at least the 500's.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Range Rover

Get an Odyssey battery. It's a sealed drycell and you don't have to worry about the temperature and hardly ever have to charge it when the atv isn't being used. I have this battery in some of my other 'toys' and I really like them. At least check them out HERE

Old 01-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

After reading these post, I decided that I would charge my battery. I've had prob's with the acid leaking out of the vent tube since day one. Anyway during charging it spewed air like the force of my air compressor when I drain it. Anyway I decided to get rid of it and called one place and they highly recommended that odyesse battery. But the price from him was $90. I know that I want to get away from the one that I have now. I just put it on brand new 6 weeks ago.
What caused it to spew air like that before. It only happens when I charge it. One time during charging something in the garage sounded like it exploded. Like that of a firecracker. I havent taken it out for a ride since I put on the new battery. So maybe that will settle it down some. My vent tube curles up a couple of times and there is always acid in that. Anyway that odessy battery sounds cool.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.septechnologies.biz/power...tv_battery.htm

Try this site. FREE SHIPPING

Old 01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

when you charge the battery the acid bubbles and if the vent doesn't vent well enough, the battery can swell up. I usually open the little filler caps to vent it better if I have my battery out of the machine.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure your not charging it more than 2-4 amps on these small batteries!

Quick Reply: I need a new battery