Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TB 250

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB 250

Reed converted 250 means that the 250tb doesn't have reeds to begin with??? How does that work?

Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default TB 250

You are correct. The TB 250s are a piston port motor, and I am not sure how that works. Maybe somone can explain how they work

Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default TB 250

Hello lukaka. Piston port means that as the piston travels up the cylinder bore, it uncovers a hole in the cylinder that allows the air fuel mixture to enter into the crankcase from the carburetor. When the piston goes back down, it closes off the hole, it compresses the fuel/air in the crankcase and opens a hole to the combustion chamber with the top of the piston allowing the fuel air mixture to pass from the crankcase through a transfer port to the combustion chamber. On the other hand, a reed engine does not use the piston port. It simply relies on crankcase vacumn to pull the air/fuel mixture into the crankcase past the reeds which act as one way valves.
I hope this helps you.
BryceGTX

Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default TB 250

It deffinently helps, and thank you BryceGTX. One more question. When a reed conversion kit is added what changes are made? ie, different piston, change in ports. Also, could I get a rough idea of cost from anyone? I don't need exact, just an idea.
Hey BryceGTX, what part of Michigan are you from? It's my understanding that there are dunes somewhere over there. Could you give me a city that's close to them so I can find out how far they are from me. A couple of friends and I would like to make the trip sometime.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default TB 250

Hello lukaka. Although I know how the engines work, I am not an expert on the reed conversion. But there are others on this forum that are intimately familiar with the conversion. Hopefully, they will add.

Yea the dunes are probably closer to you than me LOL. Just jump on the auto ferry at Manitowoc. It takes you across Lake Micigan to Ludington MI. Head south about 20 miles on US31 to the Silver Lake Dunes near Silver Lake State park on Lake Michigan. They are great fun. We have been jeeping there for years. it gets very busy on the weekends, so you have to get a voucher to get in. Another single dune hill is in Bull Gap trail system up above West Branch.
I hope this helps you and have fun at the dunes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 01-28-2005, 05:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default TB 250

What do you mean a voucher and how do I get one? Also, any idea how long it takes to get across on the ferry and what it costs?

Old 01-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default TB 250

lukaka,
when they say reed conversion, a reed box is welded to the cylinder that will accept a reed cage. there are guys on here that have had this done. hopefully they'll chime in soon.

steve

Old 01-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TB 250

lukaka, it's kind of hard to explain in great detail, but i'll try to do it an easy way.

As said before a piston in a piston port motor is the actual stopper or valve for the fuel/air mix entering the cylinder from the carb. In most cases the motors are in a milder state of power in direct comparison to a reedvalved motor. When porting a cylinder or we can even say when the factory is designing the cylinder you can change the duration of the intake ports (how long they're open) to let in more fuel. In a piston port motor you cant lower the ports too far or else you will start trying to push the air/fuel mix back towards the carburetor. That can have disasterous effects such as no bottom end or a bad loss of throttle response. That makes for not much fun driving.

A reedvalved motor uses reeds to stop the charge from coming back into the carb and thus keeps all the air/fuel mix inside the crankcase where it can be pushed through the transfer ports into the top of the cylinder. That way the effeciency is kept high and more power canbe made. The ports can be made much larger without having to worry about power loss. The bottom end throttle response is a lot better with reeds as well.

I hope that made some sense. Bubba

Old 01-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default TB 250

Hello lukaka. There are so many people that want to use the Silver Lake dunes, that it gets very crowded and they have limited parking. So prior to going to the dunes, you go to the voucher area and get a permit (voucher) that lets you get into the dunes at a certain time. This decreases the taffic and waiting time. THe voucher does not cost anything, but it is required to get onto the dunes. As far as the ferry, goto the website Car ferry

It is a neat trip. Takes about 3 hours. Cost is at the web site. If you decide to do it, get a state room. It doesn't cost too much and gives you a place to put some stuff and rest on the crossing.
Hope this helps you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 01-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default TB 250

There was two places that offered a reed conversion package but I was just on HPD's web
site and did not see it. AZbadboys has a Power mod kit that sells for 525.00 but you still
have to get a pipe and clutch kit. HPD's kit was more money but it came with more mods
like a pipe and clutch kit bigger carb and slip on air filter.