Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WHY BUY POLARIS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

AWD EBS can be forced on a Polaris by stopping, selecting Reverse, holding down the override button then stabbing the throttle. Now select low and you have AWD EBS. See markie, it's a pain in the a$$ and less than convenient but it can be done.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Range Rover
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

you're right, that's an impractical pain in the ****.. I'd never go
through that much trouble.. just learn to feather the break lightly
in low and awd when u descend a hill... no, it's not as good as awd ebs
like on the jap bikes but it's adequate..
If the rear end starts slipping or sliding, the awd will kick in and help
somewhat with the control.
I've been in situations on my 500 h.o. where I thought I was gonna
have to change my drawers but I always made it.
I have wondered at times though if a less experienced driver would
have been okay...
I'd really like to see polaris improve this one feature on their bikes.
They have always been known for innovation and the ones the
japanese are always running after to catch, I'm really surprised polaris
has been so slow on awd ebs and allowed the jap manufacturers to
surpass them in this area.... there's always next year...we can always
hope..

Old 01-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

Hey guys I like my polaris alote and every atv has somthing where it could be improved , just because you own a polaris like i do, It dont hurt to ask for improvment and it dont mean I dont like polaris because I do. One good thing that I have is 2 atvs to choose from for the different kind of riding conditions. I know some of you guys like the polaris ebs and thats ok. Good luck guys and thanks for the Ideas to try.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

Hey Markie...Hope I didn't come across as hateful. Zerowick's above post is exactly what I was trying to convey. If you go thru this procedure, I promise, you'll probably have to give it gas to make it go down hill. If you know how to do it, it only takes about 5 seconds to get it locked in. I too have the luxury that you have in being able to ride a Cat as well. Both are great machines. I will say the Cat does make it easier to go down those steep hills, I just can't say it's way much better.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

Forums like this one are a great source of information and ideas, but if you're not careful you can get the wrong idea. People tend to write in about their problems, but not about the good stuff on their quads. That's just human nature. Read the forums for some of the other manufacturers, its the same story. There's a forum for my diesel truck and it is the same way.

Being used to Japanese stuff, Polaris was a little odd to me at first too. The engine being a completely separate device, like a Harley motorcycle, and not integrated with the engine, for example. Don't dismiss Polaris' AWD system though, it works really well. It took the other manufacturers many years to catch up with Polaris on that one. For years, all the others, with limited slip front diffs, were really only 3 wheel drive (if you realize how limited slip works). Polaris also took a lot of flack because their 4 wheelers had a lot of grease zerks. People translated that as needing a lot of maintenance. That's not too smart of those people, what it really means is that you can insure you have things greased and they'll last. With the others you never know and you replace bearing and things more often. It is very satisfying to come home from a day of riding in deep mud, pump some grease in those zerks, and watch the water squirt out. You know for a fact that you replaced all that crud with some good grease. You know the other get crud in them too, but you can't get it out.

You know, Polaris was also the first to come out with the CVT automatic drive, now everyone but Honda uses it. That ought to tell you something. Of course the real key is to buy what fits you and your riding style best. These things cost a lot of money, so try both and go with your instincts. In my town, one dealer sells every brand, but if your Polaris dealer and Suzuki dealer are separate, figure in their reputations as well.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Range Rover
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

I would look at the Brute Force 750. It has IRS and is a great quad. It just won the shootout in ATV Magazine. Although the Polaris 800 was a close second. It depends on your riding style. If you want a work horse, the Popo would be great, but if you want more sport performance take the Kawi.

I have the Brute Force 650 with SRA ( which I prefer ) and couldn't ask for a better quad. I just smoked two prairies today with it. That might be a good consideration, especially for the price.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

The shootouts that Ive seen the suzuki beat the Bruit force because it handled so much better,I think It was atv action this months .I would take eather one.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

Originally posted by: zerowick
Not really vinnie. With the Polaris system you are not mechanically locked in, or locked in at all, even when you select AWD. Once in AWD, first the rear wheels must slip more than 1/5 of a turn, then power is sent to the front differential, at which point the front wheel with more traction will get power, with equal traction both get power, very efficient, no wasted power. It's never really "locked" in. This all happens within a fraction of a second, seemlessly, without any input from the rider aside from previously selecting AWD. The most user friendly, most effective system on any quad.
When AWD is engaged (and kicks in), BOTH front wheels get full power, not just one. And they are mechanically connected, and the rears are mechanically connected to the fronts, and the rears are obviously connected to each other. So in actuality, when using AWD, you are really 100% locked in automatically (when the front wheels engage), and then unlocked (fronts disengage) once traction is regained to allow for steering.

Old 01-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

That's my point exactly Tyler711. If you know the correct procedure, you can lock in the AWD with EBS for steep downhills.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default WHY BUY POLARIS?

Yes, but then no steering [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: WHY BUY POLARIS?