Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

dual battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual battery

You could also just install a larger battery with a higher amp rating and not have to bother with paralleling in a second battery. That would be my first preference....

Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default dual battery

with the accessories on the quad I don't know if adding a second battery is going to be good on your charging circuit. why not just replace your stock battery with a higher quality battery? do they make like a dry cell or yellow top battery for quads.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default dual battery

Actually running 2 batteries will take stress off of the charge system. It pulls way more juice to run the accessories then it would to charge the batteries. If you have 2 batteries or 1 battery with much higher amps the draw from the accessories come mostly from the batteries. the charging system can only handle 15-20 amp draws. Atv batteries can handle 100-200 amp draws. It takes alot less amps to charge a battery then it does to run the accessories. Thats why you put capacitors on high end auto stereo equipment. Because a charging system cant take instant draws and hold the draw. So the capacitors act like small batteries so when you get a draw it takes from the capacitors and not from the charging system. So in the long run it will save the charging system from damage.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:50 AM
yaK
Pro Rider
Default dual battery

What about a stronger alternator? is this possible? I used to have a heavier unit in my land crusier as well as dual batteries, and it was something I was just able to buy through my local 4*4 shop.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default dual battery

i already checked wiht ricky stator about rewinding it. he said they didnt do my model but i may be able to have someone do it custom he said.dosnt soudn cheap so intead of tryin to run 6 inch 6 daylighters that are 100 watts im just gonna get some 55 watt 6 inch longrange hellas for it.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default dual battery

Originally posted by: powerslider
You could also just install a larger battery with a higher amp rating and not have to bother with paralleling in a second battery. That would be my first preference....
Just a quick question. I remember my cousin trying to jump an older Honda 3 wheeler with his car years ago and it spun the starter to fast and ended up breaking the starter gears. The gears fell down into the stator and burned it up and I had to replace the stator because I bought it from him like it set. By getting a larger or more cranking amp battery, will this do the same thing and mess up the starter gears.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default dual battery

Several people have asked me about my winch, dual batteries and bigger lights.

I thought about a single higher amp battery, but I believe they are physically larger as well, and the Scrambler battery box wouldn't hold it and is welded on. So duals worked better. I had to build another box to hold the second one. There was no need to add a battery isolator like a boat has because I wanted all the power, all the time. I had no need to reserve one battery for starting, since I could always pull start it. And yes, it has to be wired in parallel. Wiring in series would produce 24 volts and cook everything.

On the lights, they are simply off-road truck lights with 55 watt bulbs. And yes, they are significantly better than the stock 35 watt lights. Since these are off-road lights they have no high/low beam. So if you are concerned about power draw, one thing you could do is to wire it so that just one light came on when the switch was on low beam, and both came on at high beam.

Last night I bought an ammeter to hook to it temporarily to verify that the charging system was keeping up. But getting to the charging wire requires removing some bodywork and I haven't had time for that yet. I'll try to keep you posted.

The rear rack and backrest are both from Rocky Mountain ATV and the "trunk" is an ammo box to store some tools, a spare belt and flat kit. The backrest is great when I pull over to rest (I'm old) or sitting around gabbing and shaming a buddy into trying that bottomless mudhole. But mostly, it keeps my tailbone from hitting that rack on a jump. One time of that happening was plenty.

On the winch, it wouldn't fit between the DG bumper and the radiator screen until I extended the top bumper mount with some square tubing (see pics).

Someone asked if the winch added too much weight on the front. That would depend on how you ride. I play in the mud and climb mountains, I don't jump all that much. So for me, the front was way too light. In fact, if came over on top of me once on a huge hill. It didn't hurt the Scrambler much, but I had to ride 10 miles back with some busted ribs. So a little weight to keep that from happening again was fine with me.

I just posted some new pics to show some of this stuff. Glad ya'll are interested.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default dual battery

Originally posted by: yunt2ride
Originally posted by: powersliderYou could also just install a larger battery with a higher amp rating and not have to bother with paralleling in a second battery. That would be my first preference....
Just a quick question. I remember my cousin trying to jump an older Honda 3 wheeler with his car years ago and it spun the starter to fast and ended up breaking the starter gears. The gears fell down into the stator and burned it up and I had to replace the stator because I bought it from him like it set. By getting a larger or more cranking amp battery, will this do the same thing and mess up the starter gears.
12 volts is 12 volts, the battery storage capacity doesn't change that. Your cousin may have had the vehicle running which would feed charging voltage or 14+ volts and spin the starter faster on the vehicle being jumped but that alone shouldn't damage the starter......

Old 02-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default dual battery

Werent the older hondas 6volt? Bigger amps will not damage anything. It just means it will handle a bigger draw without killing the battery. The more amps the more draw it can handle.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default dual battery

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
Werent the older hondas 6volt? Bigger amps will not damage anything. It just means it will handle a bigger draw without killing the battery. The more amps the more draw it can handle.
I cannot remember any of the Honda atcs having 6 volt systems, but then again my memory isn't what it used to be lol.......

Quick Reply: dual battery