Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help reading plug.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help reading plug.

I removed my oil injection last night and pre mixed at 40 to 1.

I also cleened the carb and moved the needle clip down one notch to richen the mixture a tad.

I did some plug runs today, and this is what I see. a fresh plug installed last night, the porcelain is dark brown on the bottom and on one side of the top of the porceilean however the other side of the top of the porceilain is whiteish.

Am I running lean? I've never really looked at plugs before. to be honest I always ran excesivly rich before, and it didn't bother me because I figured it was safer.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds about right. The little bit of white you're seeing is from the side that was toward the exhaust. The exhaust side is always hotter, thus a little bit of white still showing is normal. If you're a little leary, jet it up one size yet & check again.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I would jet up one size, I burned a hole in the top of my piston on my Scrambler, I don't think I would take a chance, remember lean is mean......but rich is better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

I would also suggest going one jet size larger and trying, you don't want to get to lean, better to be slightly rich....

when running on a new plug, it takes alittle bit to get the color on the plug, but when doing checks, you don't want to be too lean....

I used to race jet ski's, I ran the X2 class and was doing plug checks on a lake....it was right before dark, I'd zip out in the lake and then zip back, well I zipped out one time and it went....brrrrrr and died, it started right back up, would run alittle ways and brrrr....die again, so anyways, its almost dark, and now I'm swimming back to shore, pushing the jet ski....this is when I lived in Florida, there were a bunch of alligators in the lake....did a plug check, looked alittle lean, pulled the head.....seized....best to be alittle rich on two strokes....not black rich, but a mix of dark brown and light brown, no white