Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Warranty Question

I've got a problem.... just wanted to see if any of you fellas have had anything similar happen to you. I have a 2000 Expedition 325...when I bought it new I purchased an additional 5 year warranty (runs through Oct. of this year). So now, 5 years later I take it to a dealership in Indianapols (Indy Powersports) to have it looked at because occassional it slips out of 5th gear and into 4th. The dealership has had the quad since Dec. 1st. Over the weeks I have had to call them to get status reports...they never call me. They don't know it, but I have talked to AON, who is the Polaris Star warranty administrator. I know everything about the claim...what the dealer has asked for, what the warranty co. has paid out...etc. The warranty co. says that the repair should take 6 hours....they have paid the dealer 6.5 hour of labor time. There have been no parts turned down by the warranty company, essentially everything the dealership has asked for, they have gotten. The short end of this story is that the dealer is now telling me that the warranty company has paid $525 for the repair, but I owe an additional $550 to cover extra time that the repair took as well as an additional 15% park mark up!!!

I called the warranty dept. at Polaris and they want to know how this is handled by the dealer, but they wont get involved even though they told me that the dealer is not supposed to collect additional money from the policy holder other than the deductible. Essentially it's the same as going to the doctor...you pay your co-pay, but the doc can't tell you that the insurance co. only pays so much for a procedure and you will owe the rest. They are in an aggreement to do the repair for the money that the warranty company is willing to pay them....if they cannot do the repair for that amount, they are supposed to turn down the job.

I'm just curious if any of you have had dealerships pull this kind of stunt? I told the dealer that I will pay my $25 deductible, pay for the oil that the warranty co. wont cover, and pay for the 15% part mark up that the dealer told me about when I dropped it off. I don't feel like I should pay for an additional 6 hours of labor, just because they can't get the job done in the time the warranty co. allows them. They are claiming that there is no way that the repair can be completed in the time that "the book" says....even though that repair time comes direct from Polaris. I have taken my car in for service before and NEVER been hit with charges because the job took longer than their book says it should. It's not my fault that they can't diagnose and repair in a timely manner!

Anyone have any opinions or help for me? I've been trying to talk to the owner for 3 weeks now....ever since I told the store manager I was not paying the invoice. They wont call me back....it's just a mess. I'm thinking that my next course of action is calling the Attorney General.........

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

You need to camp out at the store and talk to the owner ... or find out where he lives and camp out at his house ... i would also call the local newspaper. Sounds like some kind of scam.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Sound typical to me. If you have a local TV station that does stories on bogus stuff, give them a call, have them put a hidden camera on you, go in and have the conversation with the dealer. Then the TV station reporter will walk in and show them the video and ask them how this can happen. I bet rather than getting all their pictures on the news you'll get everything for the cost of the deductible..... I always wanted to do that....ha

Old 02-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

some radio stations and news stations will cover a story and investigate these types of places when stuff like this happens. I would not even pay the 15% markup that the dealer is asking for, I would pay for the oil and the deductible but as far as additional charges I would say no too! It is no different than when you go to a car dealership and the book says a repair pays 6 hours, if it takes longer then to bad. it's not like the dealer says oh well the repairs took longer than we thought so we are gonna have to charge you more. that just doesn't happen. if it were me I would take my extra key up to the dealer and take my quad then mail them the deductible and some cash for the oil change. my dealer has a garage door and a back door into the repair garage so normally I always pull around back and pull my quad up to the door or into the garage. they can't do anything about it cause it's not like your stealing your own quad your just taking what is yours right?

Old 02-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah..... Trust me, the hidden camera trick followed up by an investigation is definately something I have thought of........especially since I am a news photographer for the largest TV station in Indiana.......lol. It's just the last string that I want to pull. I just want to made certain that I am being screwed over by these guys, and what they are trying to do is NOT standard in dealing with warranty work on an ATV. I've always got the Attorney General route, as well as taking them to court. The dealership has a booth at the local Boat Sport & Travel show in Indianapolis this week.......I can always go make a huge scene at their booth.......