Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailer Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Size

I just got 2 05 sportsman 500ho's. I am trying to find out if a 12x6 trailer will hold them., or do i need to go bigger? Thanks for you help.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default Trailer Size

i dunno about the sportsmans but i got a big tex 14ft er and with a forman 450 and my scrammy we have some room in the front to put a small cooler...its pretty close 12 ft may be pushing it

Old 02-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Range Rover
Default Trailer Size

If you are pulling one on sideways and the other from the rear, then the 12ft will be just right. If you need extra room for coolers and things, you may want to load them both sideways. This will still give you approx 3 feet to load your gear. If loading both sideways is not an option, look at a 14ft.

I have a friend with a 6.5 by 12 that loads three sportsmans.(all from the side.)

Good Luck

Old 02-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trailer Size

thanks for the help guys.... i really appreciate it.......

Old 02-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Trailer Size

ya lol i forgot they make trailers that you can load from the side mine i cant just has a back gate. what ever you do decide to go with dont get a agway one or something chessy. rem you got 13k worth of quads on there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] get something good . i fell bad for the dudes on the highway i see with there homemade trailers with lil 8 inch tires. its just asking for something to happin

Old 02-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Trailer Size

Talking about trailers. how about new 12 inch tires on those trailers like they sell at lowes and such. I have a trailblazer and i want to get a 4x6 trailer. My TB would just and i mean just fit like a glove.on this trailer. I prefer more room, but dont have the space to store the trailer if i got it any bigger. But dont want to have a blow out going down the road. My own feelings on this is I would never truely trust the trailer.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default Trailer Size

btw i wasnt trying to bash anyone if they have a homade trailer. if you built one more power to ya.....but im sure you guys understood what iv ment as we all have seem some pretty sad looking ones. i know one guy who made one and put tractor tires on it from his old sears lawnmower thats what i mean by stingy homeade lol it did last maybe two or three short trips be4 the u bolts messed up

Old 02-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Trailer Size

i don't know how much longer the sportsman is compared to the scrambler but i fit my two quads on a 5x12 designed for quads. there is a little room at the end but not much and that's nose to tail. there is still room on the sides for gas cans and coolers plus the bed of my truck. i didn't want one that was too big but that's my pref. i agree on the small tires of some trailers. while towing a friends sport on a 4x8 colapsible trailer we spun one of the bearings in it. results of a 12 inch tire. around town and lower than 55 mph is about the max of something like that. whatever you get be sure to check the amount of bearing grease and add more if needed. they don't put much in there from the factory.

hope this helps

steve

Old 02-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer
Default Trailer Size

My trailer is a 12' & I can if loading from the side put a quad in front of the fenders < another behind the fenders & fit a small "kid" quad betwen them. Normally I use the trailer vvise & load fromthe back, but if I remove the trailer vise (about 5 mins) I could load one across the front. I had it made by a guy in Md, it's all aluminum, with 16" mag wheels & has ramps to match the deck that slide under the rear. I'm still waiting for a "A" frame tool box for the tounge & a stone / snow deflector that is being made for it. It is lighter than my old steel 5x9 with 8"wheels & it's rated for 3500lbs. You can tow it 75mph plus & it's like it's not there.
Don

Old 02-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trailer Size

I have a Sportman 700 and a 500, I bought a worthington 2 place oversized aluminum side loader. Well built trailer with the 10" 8 ply tires easy to load the machines and trailers like a dream. I bought it last year and paid $1500 for it. I really liked the fact that it was aluminum and the way it was built. If you want a landscape trailer then you might want to check out Tractor Supply They have a 6 x 10 with a rear drop gate and a side drop gate in the front. Peresonally I would stay away from the inexpensive fold up trailers I would have to be very sure about putting $11000 worth of quad on a trailer then rolling down the highway at 65 mph just MHO.

Dave

Quick Reply: Trailer Size