Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EFI Predator

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Predator

has anyone heard if Polaris plans on ever putting EFI on the Predator or not. I would like to have a Predator sometime and would definitely be interested if they had EFI on them because I just don't have the time or energy to spend on changing jets and dealing with carbs.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

I promise you it isnt that hard to swap jets...and isnt EFI in its current form adding weight?..Thats the last thing a Pred needs.

I havent torn open the airbox yet..but even with my Yoshi I didnt need a jet change...but it is super simple...less than an hour total...as long as your mechanicaly inclined..

Old 03-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI Predator

You should have had to change jets with a new exhaust, even if you didnt mess with the filter. A new exhaust flows more freely and the faster evacuation of exhuast should pull more air through the engine even without airbox changes. Granted the change is small, but you should still end up bumping up a jet or two. No popping on decel or flat spots?

The pred is already heavy and not the best bike for mx. IMO they might as well add the EFI since they arent going to make it into an mx machine anytime soon. At least then they would have something major over the other bikes. As it sits right now the pred is a tweener. Not light and agile enough for mx, not enough potential for upgrades, and not really any faster or slower than other similar bikes. its a great trail machine, but there are plenty of those out there anyway. EFI would set the pred apart and the sales and recognition boost would probably well outweigh the design, development and production costs.

I have not heard of any plans from polaris, not even any rumours. I wouldnt be holding my breath for it. The pred is a nice bike as it is, and you only need to rejet when you are altering the engine or airflow. In other words, you dont have to do a lot of jetting unless you plan on doing a lot of upgrades stretched out over a period of time. The pred is only a single carb and from what I hear its not too terrible to jet. Try getting a stock raptor setup tuned properly, you'll pull your hair out and still be sputtering through midrange. I know I am...

Old 03-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

There is no black magic or voodoo involved with jetting. Its really very easy. And maddog is right.....you should rejet after installing an aftermarket exhaust. Better flow means the need for more fuel. For your setup if all you did is a slip-on exhaust it'll be as simple as going from a stock 150 main jet to a 155 main jet. You can do it in 10 minutes less if you know what your doing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

What's wrong with carbs? Truthfully I don't think EFI is needed on the Predator at all. I think Polaris should concentrate more on expanding their sport line of ATV's as well as producing a redesigned Scrambler.

If you don't like carbs, then stick to Miller Lite...half the carbs and more taste than Bud Light. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

Well, I can tell you efi is an great thing on a sport ute... especially up here where it gets cold in the winter, I could actually use mine this winter while hunting!!! Just hit the key, go back in the cabin and get dressed while it warms up. watch out the cabin window while your buddys are thummbing the throttles on their machines to keep them running!!! And if you woke up too late, just hop on and go... no more popping/spitting/and sputtering until it is warmed up. And the increased throttle response is very noticible. Don't get me wrong, efi isn't for everyone! There are still a lot of people out there who think efi was a bad idea for cars too... mostly the ones who don't/can't
understand how it works.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

I have two polaris sportsman 700EFI as of right now and love the fact that I can just hit the key and ride. and was curious to see if anyone had heard of polaris maybe trying to put EFI on the Predator or not. I don't know where the whole exhaust thing came from but I understand the reasoning for rejetting a quad just don't want to screw with it. carb models are ok but in this day in age are "old school" EFI is here to stay so I guess I don't see why it would be a bad idea to install EFI on the predator. as far as it taking an hour to change jets, that is an hour I could have already been riding on an EFI model.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

Actually if you just got a new exhaust(left the airflow alone)......I'd say you don't have to rejet. The quads come pretty rich from the factory......so if anything, you are running more in the area that you need to..........JMO

Old 03-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Actually if you just got a new exhaust(left the airflow alone)......I'd say you don't have to rejet. The quads come pretty rich from the factory......so if anything, you are running more in the area that you need to..........JMO
Sorry Mr. Bullet, didnt mean to hijack your thread..but I think the question has been answered..no rumors heard. And I would much rather work on a bad carb than a bad EFI...Yikes!..Its ok for some..but not for me..what with map sensors..oxygen sensors... Double Yikes!!

I havent had a problem at all (knocking on wood) with my carb after the exhaust install..I"m suprised as anyone...however the exhaust provides very little bottom end gain and incredible mid..with some top..but its hard to judge top becasue of the strange gearing..but this for sure.. it doesnt take as long to reach 4th gear..keep in mind this is from the seat of my pants dyno.

Old 03-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI Predator

the following is an email i got received from kms

Their turbo systems with efi push 85 ponies on the raptor and the ds650

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Each system is made custom for that make and model. But we do currently have fuel injection available for the predator. We will probably have the turbo system ready for fall.

The fuel injection alone will add about 4-7 hp. Plus the conveniance of not having to jet carbs.
It is also compatible for the turbo system to be added on later.

Please letme know if you have more questions.

Thanks
Stephanie
KMS Performance

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Quick Reply: EFI Predator