Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500scramblertransmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500scramblertransmission

ihavean01scrambler5004strokeautomatic.thereversege arfailsduetoacirclipthatslidesoutofitsgrooveandlet sthegearmoveoutofposition.thishashappenedtwice.ius ecarewhenshiftingintoreversesothereisntproblemsand thereoccurs.thisatvhasabout20hrsonit.anyhelp?sorry myspacebaronthekeyboardisbroke.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kmc946
i have an 01 scrambler 500 4 stroke automatic. the reverse gear fails due to a circlip that slides out of its groove and lets the gear move out of position. this has happened twice. i use care when shifting into reverse so there isnt problems and there occurs. this atv has about 20 hrs on it. any help? sorry my space bar on the key board is broke.
May be try to use a dash_ or something because that was hard to follow.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time try a differant type of c clip anlong with a new thicker washer spacer

Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

who is doing your teck work for starters. If this bike has this issue with only 20 hours on it ur teck needs his head checked. If the circlipis falling off, have it replaced with a hardened snap ring. It may require a bit extra work, like disasembling the entire counter shaft to get it into place, but fixing once the right way is better than over and over and the frustration. Polaris should be coming good for this issue, if the bike does only have this little hours, even though its an 01 unit, it can still be dealt with by polaris. Is called GOODWILL calim. u do the footwork.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

It is a comon problem and the first time you see it it is tempting to just put the clip back but it needs replaced and may be a new bushing put inthe gear. rmkcac700 some of us on here dont use a TECH we do our OWN work.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

ftwflh
Pro Rider
crossville, Illinois

Well Im a TECH, and from past experience, if a bike is 4 years old and has a lingering problem, its time to get a pro to look into it instead of getting the wrong advice, SOOO Sorry For trying to help a guy. Next time if u dont like the truthfull answer dont stick ur neck out and ask.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: rmkcac700
ftwflh
Pro Rider
crossville, Illinois

Well Im a TECH, and from past experience, if a bike is 4 years old and has a lingering problem, its time to get a pro to look into it instead of getting the wrong advice, SOOO Sorry For trying to help a guy. Next time if u dont like the truthfull answer dont stick ur neck out and ask.
WE both told him about the same thing on his problem.But on the tech thing Polaris is not known for having good techs in ALL their shops and lots of folks have been burned by shady dealers and have resorted to donig the work on their own.Granted there are some really good and knowlagable techs(a few on here even) Sorry if I offended you but there are some on here with meg $$$$$ and take their bikes in for everything but most on here are poor boys trying to get by.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

kmc, another thing to look at is the snap ring groove itself. i have found a couple of cases where the groove wasn't cut quite deep enough, the ring will go on but won't stay. if this is the case the shaft can be cut by a machine shop to fix it. and as everyone else said, replace the snapring. as for polaris doing anything for you on an '01, good luck unless the problem started during warranty and was well documented in the system, but even at that its going on 4 yrs.
hey, ftwflh which one am I[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img],[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
and rmk, how long you been a tech?

Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: jeffro206
kmc, another thing to look at is the snap ring groove itself. i have found a couple of cases where the groove wasn't cut quite deep enough, the ring will go on but won't stay. if this is the case the shaft can be cut by a machine shop to fix it. and as everyone else said, replace the snapring. as for polaris doing anything for you on an '01, good luck unless the problem started during warranty and was well documented in the system, but even at that its going on 4 yrs.
hey, ftwflh which one am I[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img],[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
and rmk, how long you been a tech?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

hey JEFFRO ive been a polaris MSD Tech for 7 years, and fixing all brands for 11.