Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEW MOD.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MOD.

INSTALLED A REVERSE & WORK LIGHT. I WIRED THE LIGHT SO WHEN I PUT THE QUAD IN REVERSE THE LIGHT COMES ON. I ALSO WIRED A SWITCH ON THE POD SO I CAN TURN THE LIGHT ON ANYTIME. I'M POSTING SOME PICTURES ON MY PAGE.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

How did you set up the light to come on automatically? Did you connect it to the white wire under the hood? I am also looking to do this modfor when plowing.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

me two [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

can you please post some direction on how to wire the worklight. I would like to do the same thing. I want the light to come on when put into reverse but would also like to be able to turn it on with a toggle too. it would be much appreciated. thanks

Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

please post some directions on how you did this, thanks,

Old 03-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Range Rover
Default NEW MOD.

PARTS LIST
AUTO RELAY PART#275-226 (RADIOSHACK)
RECTIFIER DIODE PART#276-1661 (RADIOSHACK)
L.E.D. ROCKER SWITCH (WALMART)
12 AWG RED (WALMART)
12 AWG BLACK (WALMART)
16 AWG RED (WALMART)
16 AWG BLACK (WALMART)
12 VOLT LIGHT (WALMART)
MIS. WIRE CONNECTOR ENDS (WALMART)

CONNECT ONE END OF 12AWG (RED) WIRE TO THE POSTIVE SIDE OF THE BATTERY. THE OTHER END TO THE IN SIDE OF THE RELAY.

CONNECT ONE END OF 12AWG (RED) WIRE TO THE OUT SIDE OF THE RELAY. THE OTHER END GOES TO THE HOT SIDE OF THE LIGHT.

CONNECT TO ENDS OF 12 AWG (BLACK) WIRE TO THE NEGATIVE SIDE TO THE BATTREY. ONE END GOES THE GROUND SIDE OF THE RELAY. THE OTHER END GOES THE LIGHT.

TURN YOUR QUAD ON AND PUT IT IN REVERSE. USE A 12V TESTER TO FIND THE WIRE THATS LIGHTS UP THE REVERSE INDICATOR ON THE POD. THIS WAS A PURPLE WIRE ON MY QUAD.

SPLICE A PIECE OF 16AWG (RED) WIRE TO THIS WIRE. THE OTHER END GOES TO THE ON/OFF SIDE OF THE RELAY. YOU NEED TO USE A DIODE BETWEEN THE PURPLE WIRE AND ON/OFF SIDE OF THE RELAY. YOU NEED THIS DIODE SO WHEN YOU TURN THE LIGHT ON WITH THE ROCKER SWITCH IT DOES NOT LET THE REVERSE INDICATOR LIGHT TO COME .

CONNECT ONE END OF 16AWG (RED) WIRE TO POSTIVE SIDE OF THE ROCKER SWITCH. THE OTHER END SPLICES TO A HOT WIRE IN THE POD.

CONNECT ONE END OF 16AWG (RED) WIRE TO THE ACCESSORY SIDE OF THE ROCKER SWITCH. THE OTHER END GOES TO THE ON/OFF SIDE TO THE RELAY.

CONNECT ONE END OF 16AWG (BLACK) WIRE TO THE GROUND SIDE OF THE ROCKER SWITCH. THE OTHER END SPLICES TO A GROUND WIRE IN THE THE POD.

THIS SET-UP NEEDS A FUSE IN IT SOMEWHERE, BUT I'M NOT SURE WHERE TO PUT IT.

I HOPE THIS MAKES SINCE AND WILL HELP YOU GUY OUT.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

On your 02 500 is the reverse indicator a light or part of a display like it is on the new ones?

Old 03-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Range Rover
Default NEW MOD.

ON MY SPORTSMAN THE REVERSE INDICATOR IS A LIGHT. LOOK AT MY PICTURES YOU CAN SEE THE NUTREAL INDICATOR LIGHT ON. THE REVERSE INDICATOR IS JUST LIKE IT.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

sweat dont u feel good about yourself after doing something custom like this to one of your toys i know i always do

Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

Has anyone else done this using the white wire under the hood on Sportsman's with the digital guages? Or can someone with a service manual check to see if this wire is even there? Supposedly, there is a white wire under the hood that grounds when the quad is in reverse. So a reverse light on an 04 or 05 or whichever else has the new gauge is theoretically very simple. No relays or switches necessary (unless desired). Could someone check the schematic for me? I can't find my service manual [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Thanks

And for those of you with 05's, you could just wire your existing lights to this wire. You could keep the old switch with its current function as a toggle. How bright are those worklights, anyway? Do they jsut provide a glow, or they have decent coverage and projection?
Tyler

Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Range Rover
Default NEW MOD.

Just an FYI....

On most 2004 and up model Sportsmans, the purple wire (reverse accessory) was eliminated. Notice how I say "most" as I have seen it on some earlier 04 models. Those with digital gauges, the jury is still out on the "white" wire. If indeed it's there, and you try this mod, please post your results...

Good luck on your project....

Quick Reply: NEW MOD.