Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

lost title

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost title

I cant find my title to my ATV that I got back in 2003. My wife said that when we got it we never got a title as such. Just the receipt from the dealer. But that cant be right. If I was to ever sale it. I would have to give the new owner some sort of paper work to show that it is his, right? I dont plan on saleing it anytime soon. But now its got me thinking. What sort of paper work should I have on this thing, and can I apply for a lost title if in fact it should have one. And where would I go to get that paper work.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default lost title

If you have the BILL OF SALE then you can take it to a Polaris dealer and have them inspect it. After you have it inspected they will give you paper work to take to the BMV. Then you can get it titled. At least that is what you do in Ohio. I bought a bike off of a guy that didn't have the title just a bill of sale.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lost title

Here in Wyoming you have to have a police officer (Local or County) run a VIN check on it to register/title it in your name. Even if you have a bill of sale and/or title. If you can't find the title or the Bill of Sale the county runs an add in the paper under the "Public Announcements" section for 30-45 days (I cant remember which) stating you are the owner and are claiming ownership of the ATV. That way if it is stolen, the real owner can come forth and prove via title they are the real owners. But that is just here, the best way to find out what you need to do is contact your local DMV. I know from personal experience there is nothing more worrisome than having your VIN ran on an ATV you purchased and never recieved a title. Fear coming from the hope that it isn't stolen. If it is stolen, law enforcement will take it and say "sorry" as your out the money you paid for it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img](

Old 03-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default lost title

MSO (manufactures statement of orgin) came from Polaris Dealer when you bought quad!

Old 03-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default lost title

ok, I cant find my MSO. Can my dealer give me a copy. Or maybe Polaris itself...