Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SCRAMBLER HI/LOW TRNS

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAS ANYONE PUT A HI/LOW TRANS IN A SCRAMBLER?
IF SO HOW DO YOU LIKE IT & WHAT CONDITIONS DO YOU RIDE IN? WHAT OTHER MODS DO YOU HAVE?
BERT

Old 09-27-2000, 11:05 PM
TDC
Trailblazer

There has been several threads on this subject. Go to Search and type in "High/Low Range in Scrambler" and you should find something. I've been seriously considering the conversion myself and if the rumored 700 doesn't become a reality I'll probably go through with it.

Old 09-28-2000, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

TDC WHERE DO YOU RIDE AT. I BUILT MY BIKE ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO. THE TRANS INSTALL WASNT THAT HARD. WE RIDE AT HWY 90, HWY 242, & SPRING CREEK. ARE YOU GOING TO RIDE THIS WEEKEND?
BERT

Old 09-28-2000, 09:24 PM
TDC
Trailblazer

Gotta work Saturday and Sunday I'm playing paintball so the Scrambler won't be seeing much action this weekend. I ride at a friends place in Huffman and at my lease north of Austin. I've never been to 90, 242, or Spring Creek but I'm planning on hitting these areas pretty soon. How does high range compare to the original tranny as far as top speed and acceleration? Any inside tips on the tranny swap? Also, where did you get the parts and how much did they cost? Thanks!

2000 Scr 500
w/ Split Brakes,
Roller clutch,
22" Swampers,
Douglas Alum. Wheels,
Etc.,Etc.....

Old 09-28-2000, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

TDC I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE TOP SPEED COMPARED TO STOCK, I RUN 27 X 12 VAMPIRES. THE PARTS CAME FROM POLARIS. THE COST WAS AROUND $1800.00. THE TRANS WILL BOLT IN, THE SHIFTER & SHIFTING RODS REQUIRE FABRICATION SKILLS. IF YOU ARE INTERSTED IN THIS MOD I WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP.
BERT

Old 09-28-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

what at kind of paintball gun do you have??? Did the swampers make a big difference in the mud??? what about on hardpack

Old 09-29-2000, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried the search but didn't find anything. I would like to know more about this, though, so if there is another place to look, let me know.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2000, 10:59 PM
TDC
Trailblazer

Bert, thanks for the offer. If I decide to do the swap I might get you to e mail me the details. Do you think the low range is low enough to turn 28" Outlaws or would you reccomend 27" or less? Maybee one day I'll catch you on the trail. You should'nt be to hard to spot, you'll be the one smoking everyone in the mud!

SGalusha, go to the search icon in the forums section, type in "low range", select "Polaris ATV's" and then hit search. Scroll through the results and see what you come up with. If that doesn't work type in "low range transmission"
and try again. The swap is kind of pricey but it may well be worth it.

Will, I have a '99 Autococker with an 18" Dye Boomstick and a couple of other mods. What do you shoot? The 22" Swampers made a huge difference in the mud. I ride with guys who run 25" and 26" Swampers and I made it through every hole they went through without a problem(the deepest hole we've tackled was well over the tops of thier tires). On the hard pack they perform at least as good as the stock tires and on the sand they're like mini paddle tires! They're a good all around tire with an emphasis on mud riding.

Old 09-29-2000, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Had a new rainmaker but sold it to buy a pipe. Didn't have enough money to do both

Old 09-29-2000, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Im gonna DO IT.. the transmission is on its way. I have other repairs to do from a tree encounter, but its on the way. I pulled the plastic and both racks today, and the plastic. Maybe this weekend I'll pull the motor and trans out.
I'm interested though...... Those of you running 27" tires... I put the 27x12x12 Triclaw magnums and Bi-Claw magnums on the Scrambler just to see what it looked like... I had to deflate the rears to almost nothing because of floorboard clearance.. Did ya'll have this problem?. Plans are to install 28" Outlaws on ITP Billet "Gunmetal" wheels. I looked at the swingarm, I think I can lengthen it pretty easily.. I could and/or move the floorboards... But, I think with the Low range, engine mods, and big tires, I will be better off with a slightly longer wheelbase to help control the front end... ???????Any thoughts????
BTW.. a brand new Tranny for the older chain drive models is $749.00

Quick Reply: SCRAMBLER HI/LOW TRNS