Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Missing Key?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Key?

during our ride this past weekend after riding I loaded up my quad onto the trailer then went to shut of the key and it wasn't in the Ignition, but the atv was still running. I assume maybe a tree branch or something pulled the key out or knocked the key out of the Ignition. I called my dealer and they had never heard of that happening and said the key is supposed to lock into place, they replaced the key and black rubber key cover under warranty even though it is out of warranty. I didn't even have to say anything, he just covered it and said have a nice day. what great service, this is why I absolutely recommend Weiss Equipment in Frankenmuth, Michigan.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I have never heard of that before and surprised the hell out of us that the key was missing but yet the atv was still running, just doesn't make any sense. we walked through the trails and couldn't find the key but should have been easy to spot due to having a bright blue anodized climbing hook attached to it.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

Glad to hear Weiss took care of you Dave.

Jim

Old 03-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

unfortunately, that kind of service is a far cry from what really takes place at most polaris dealers....

but hey, im glad that you got that taken care of,,,,

have you tried to pull out your new key while its running? is it possible? just curious....

X

Old 03-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

so just hit the kill switch and went to the dealer or what?

Old 03-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

I tried the new key and it stays in. All I did was Weiss on the phone let them know what happen and they told me to come on up there and pick up the new key and cover and that they would cover them both. I said sweet I'll be up there in a minute (about 30 of them). My dealer is about a good half hour or so depending on traffic but it's worth it, they have a great parts dept, great service dept, awesome/honest sales team. just the whole package ya know. they always help me out when I need it and I always send them referals and say only good things about them in return.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

That's weird. The key comes out on our jeep, but that is because its 6 years old.

Funny that you lost yours this weekend, mine has been missing since Sunday. I have looked everywhere, I can't imagine where it could have gone. I usually just leave it in the ignition, and when I do take it out I put it on the key rack right inside the door. I don't even put it in my pocket to avoid losing it.

I've been using the spare since Monday, but that scares me. How much is a key replacement usually at the dealer? Can I get it copied at the hardware store? Then it won't come with that rubber splash guard though.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

They are special blanks that cost $8.
Have your VIN with you, the 700's vary.
You can have it cut at the local hardware store like ACO and Ace.

Jim

Old 03-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

Thanks jim

Old 03-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

Originally posted by: jimmypsp700
They are special blanks that cost $8.
Have your VIN with you, the 700's vary.
You can have it cut at the local hardware store like ACO and Ace.

Jim
the dealer sells the key right in the $7-8 range for a blank and the rubber polaris key boot/cover is another $7. I took my key to Gill Roys hardware and they cut the key for 50cents.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Missing Key?

Wow 7 more for the cover? That must be a nice profit there. I read in the service manual that you need like the first two numbers from the number on your old key to get the right blank at the dealer.

I found a nice place on the quad to hide the spare key. I like having it with the quad, I'd hate to like drive to the lake and find I had forgotten the real key as well as left the spare in the usual place in the house with the manuals.

Quick Reply: Missing Key?