Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 500 Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 99 sp500 that I feel is as good as they get. No problems with the steering or any of the components but should I be expecting some in the future?

The reason I ask is that after reading lots about the new sp500 HO and how they have made major improvements in this area I question the reliability of my 99 model. Understandably the manufacturers have to come up with new and improved models in order to keep selling but is the HO model that much better steering wise? The engine is said to be 20% more powerful but it doesn't concern me ... I'm happy with the power I've got.

Has anyone had a chance to ride and compare the new model to the older ones and what is your opinion.

Old 09-27-2000, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

on most polaris models,pre 6-00 date or so,they used tie rod ends and steering stem bushings that dont hold up well..it depends on your riding habits as to how long they last..and yes if you were to get tie rods now they would be an updated version,polaris sells a kit for each side but its like 40-50 for the kit,someone else said buy the pieces individually and its like 25 bucks,hope this helps

Old 09-29-2000, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

The 2001 SP 500HO is really a big improvement over the old in many ways. The steering is noticably easier due to what I heard is better geometry. The only visible differance is they use a bearing now on the lower post instead of the plastic bushing. The power is great and makes it a really fun ride with good pull at all speeds. The old ones seemed a bit flat and ho hum. The recoil is repositioned where you can get at if you ever need it. The brake system has a new master cylinder, braided steel lines and better long lasting pads. The silver color I saw on the one is a nice change. Some yellow ones are due to come in and I wonder how they will look in person. Some other small changes were made in other places and all told this year Sportsman has alot to offer. We sold 4 in less than a week at our dealership.

Old 09-30-2000, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

The biggest weakness in the steering were tie rod ends which seemed to wear out fast, which is no big deal, and the lower steering stem bushing, which isn't expensive, but a real pain to replace. I believe the new ones are a metal bearing instead of the plastic bushing. I have no idea if it is a 'bolt on' replacement, or if you would have to replace the whole steering stem. These aren't really 'big' problems unless you are an 'extreem' rider or have oversized tires, or both. The new ones also steer with less effort on the bars.
Farmr