Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning

how do you guys get your quads cleaned up? i usually hand wash it with a sponge and a bucket of water, along with the hose, tommarow im taking it up to the car cleaner place to pressure wash off the under carrage, im going to see if i can pressure off the stupid safty stickers too, i hope i dont screw up my tank stickers though.

i can never get it as clean as it was from the factory, i see alot of pictures of guys quads that look newer then new, how do you guys do that?

Old 04-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default cleaning

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't try to pressure wash the safety decals off. use a hair dryer to heat the decals up then with your fingernail lift up the corner of the decal and it should put up slowly but surely. I removed them from mine this way as soon as I took them off the trailer after I brought them home from the dealer. as far as cleaning I usually like to hand wash mine with crystal blue car wash and a hand mit. If I go out riding to like the Mounds or out with one of the guys I will stop by the car wash and spray it down then use their brush to soap it down and get off the mud and dirt. doesn't get it as clean as handwashing but good enough to put back in the shed until the next ride. be careful though with the pressure washer, if you get it too close while washing it will tear up your decals and could gouge the plastic. My pressure washer I have at home can cut through concrete, I found this out when I wrote my name in my driveway with it.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default cleaning

hah, nice, well thanks with the tip on the stickers, i wish i would have known that when i pulled the under 16 sticker off with some wd 40 and my finger nails, scratched the black plastic all up, looks ok though...

still gonna pressure wash the **** out of it though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

im looking for that, fresh out of the crate smell... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default cleaning

Simple Green!!!

Old 04-03-2005, 01:28 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Default cleaning

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
Simple Green!!!

Yep thats what I use.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default cleaning

Best thing I ever bought was a 1600psi pressure washer. It is strong enough to take the stickers off too. When you are washing around the tank stickers try using the wand stright onto the area you are cleaning. If you use it angled on the stickers, the edges will start to lift off. Another tip to help with mud is to spray down your quad with something like WD40 before you go ride. The mud will not stick as bad.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default cleaning

yeah, we have some simple green, i think i'll just spray everything off with it and squirt it down, i decided not to take it to the pressure wassure today as its a nice day and since im on spring break, i got plenty of time to clean it off.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cleaning

I just hose it off get the big heavy stuff off and out of important places wd 40 or a hair dryer works good for the decals
If you feel the need to hand wash your quad seek therapy
See ya

Old 04-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default cleaning

Hey I hand wash the plastics on mine! After every ride i wash mine or after playing in the mud I pressure wash it. After it is dry I use a plastic shine that I just spray on and it looks brand new. I use Stoner plastic shine. Then i grease the fittings.

I used the pressure washer to get the decals off and then used Goof Off/ Goo Gone to get the sticky residue off. Did not have to worry about my fingernails scratching up the plastic.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default cleaning

Watch the WD 40, From advise here I tried it and there is still a dull spot on my front right fender from the wd40, I have tried different types of expensive wax, and the dull spot just doesn't change [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: cleaning