Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problems with my new '04 Scrambler getting wet

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my new '04 Scrambler getting wet

Hi, guys. I don't if anyone can help me figure this out or not, but I figured it was worth a shot. I had my Scrammy at Rumble on the Ridge on Saturday, and other than the dust it was the greatest, until I broke down, twice. The first time I was running back and forth through some fairly deep mud puddles, and after a few times through it started missing really bad. We stopped for a while and let it set, after a while it started fine and we took off. Later on down the trail we had to cross a stream 3 or 4 times, on the last time across coming out it stalled. I started it back up and gave it full throttle, it finally got out of the water, but it was barely moving at full throttle to get it pulled to the side of the trail. 4 of the guys with me went all over it, looking for loose wires, we checked the air filter, it wasn't wet, we checked out everything we could get to, but couldn't find anything. When I would start it up and give it full throttle it sounded fine, but the minute I would let off the throttle it would miss really bad again, but it idled ok. We waited about 45 minutes to an hour waiting for it to dry out, but it still wouldn't go. My brother-in-law ended up pulling me with his Prairie for about 10 minutes back to the parking lot, I kept it on and in neutral while he pulled and kept testing the throttle. After we got back and he got me unhooked I tried again, and it sounded fine and I took off around the parking lot and it ran fine. My niece rode it for about 2 hours yesterday, and I rode it when she brought it home for about half and hour, it seems to be running fine. I am going to try to get it washed today and into the guy I bought it from this week, I just bought it in February so it is still under warranty, but I'm not sure how he is going to figure out what's wrong and get it fixed since it is running fine now. So if anyone has any ideas what to check for or any advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a clear vent tube about 1/2 in wide that goes from the fuel tank and carb. If this gets blocked in any way it will not run right. I have had to re rout the tube so it came up high by the air intake so the water and mud would not plug it. I had to do this on both my Polaris's and my brother inlaws Sportsman. It has been fine ever since. I am 90% sure this is what your problem is. This was also a problem when the Preds first came out.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, 2manytoys. I'll have my husband check that out as soon as he gets home tonight, I don't want to mess anything up trying to do it myself! I'll post back and let you know for sure if this is my problem.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

i have had the exact same problem with mine numerous times.the first day i had it out,brand new hit a puddle,full throttle it would hardly move.missing badly.i would wait a min,nothing,drive it and drive it and after 10 mins or so it gradually gained power until it was back to normal.it really only happened when i went through water. my ? is how can anything get in that vent line if it goes right from the cab to the fuel tank?? its like something was getting wet and then drying out.any other suggestions??thanks

Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys and Gal.. It sounds like you are getting water in the float bowl through the overflow line. The quad may idle because the idle jet is higher than the main jet and the water goes to the bottom of the float bowl. But as soon as you gas it, the engine will stumble and stall because it sucks water in through the main jet. I noticed on my Trailblazer that the overflow line runs down through a one way valve. The one way valve presumably lets the gas out in case the float bowl fuel level gets too high, but hopefully does not let water get back in. This is probably the line that 2manytoys is rerouting. The only problem with routing this line higher, is that it can no longer work as a float bowl overflow. So if your float sticks, it will fill your engine with fuel. Sounds like the one way valve is stuck open and needs to be cleaned. The other possibility is that the tube that connects to the bottom of the float bowl (overflow) is disconnected.
I hope this helps
BryceGTX