Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2000, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it again played withe the carb and lot. Well i put the littles jet on it and still the same. I took the airbox off so i could look inside the carb then i turned the gas no and as soon as i did that gas just started come out of it. i think the floats are out of ajustment but im not sure the gas flow just dont stop and it will start if u turn the gas off then it will use that supply of gas then die. whats causeing this problem please i mean PLEASE HELP ME.

Old 09-29-2000, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

If gas is commimg outta the carb when the motor is off then it has to be either the floats or the needle and seat are stuck open. Take the bowel off the bottom of the carb and check it out.

Also, when the gas is turned off there is no fuel pressure therfore the gas isnt being forced into the carb which once again sounds like the floats or the needle and seat.

Andy G

Old 09-29-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have no clue now to chech that stuff out could you tell me now its done and what is all to be done

Old 09-30-2000, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Take the bowl off the bottom of the carb by removing the 4 screws that hold it on.
With the bowl off you can now see the float or floats. Make sure they move up and down freely and dont bind on any thing. Also make sure they dont have a hole in them that would cause them to leak. If a float has fuel in it, it wont float.

When the float rises it pushes up on what is called the needle. It needle is about a 1/4 inch long and is slightly bigger than a pencil lead.
The needle has a point on one end the goes up into the seat when the float rises and cuts off the fuel flow until the fuel level drops and the floats drop,causing the needle to drop from the seat and lets more fuel in.
Make sure the needle hasnt fallen out and slides easly up and down. You can also hold he needle up in the seat and pore a lil fuel in your fuel line and see if it leaks past the seat.

It sounds like to me like your float isnt floating or your needle isnt seating properly.

Andy G

Old 10-01-2000, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

How do you adjust the floats and they are sticking alittle bit what is the problem and how do i fix it. please help me. I could use any info.

Old 10-01-2000, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

To be honest its been a while since ive been in a carb and I cant remember off hand how to adjust the floats without looking at it, but if they are sticking then that is more than likely the problem and not the adjustment.

Also I cant tell you why they are sticking but it should be fairly obvious. If your float pivots on an arm then make sure the arm isnt binding or too tight.
If your floats slide up and down on a pin then check the pin and make sure it isnt bent or grooved out or something.
I would start by removing the floats and cleaning everything with carb cleaner,put it back together, and spray all the pivot or slide points with WD40.
That probley doest help much but without looking at it, its kinda of a guessing game.

Good Luck
Andy G

Old 10-01-2000, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help you gave me. i just hope someone knows how to adjust the floats.

Old 10-01-2000, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help you gave me. i just hope someone knows how to adjust the floats.

Old 10-01-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

If your carb is like the one on my Scrambler the floats ride up and down on a rod on each side. Basically the rods run thru the two floats and just act as guides as the floats move up and down.
I just had my carb apart and I had black gunk built up on the rods which was making the floats stick a little. I took some gumout and cleaned those rods off really well until the floats would slide up and down without sticking. You should be able to turn the carb upside down and then back over and watch the floats move up and down on the rods. If they don't move freely you need to clean those rods until they do slide without sticking. Make sure you don't bend the little tang that actually presses against your needle because that controls the point at which your floats push against the needle to cut off the gas entering the float bowl. Chances are that is set correctly and your floats are just sticking and causing your problem.