Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Leave glacier mount on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leave glacier mount on or off?

During the summer, do those of you with the Glacier plow mount leave the mounting bracket on or off during the non-plowing months (if you use it for only snow)? I know it offers protection as well, but I think it just reduces my ground clearance a bit, and it's not like it's covering any vital parts, its just covering another skidplate. So do you guys say leave it on, or do a little extra work and take it off in the summer and reinstall in the winter?

Tyler

Old 04-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I leave mine on as I feel that it gives a bit more protection. I had to remove it when changing the front differential fluid. I drilled a 3/4" hole in it when I had it off to gain access to the drain hole for next fluid change time.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Once I find the right bit I will also drill a hole for fluid changes. Getting those mounting nuts back in place is rough.
I am just worried about bending or damaging it. I would imagine that hitting a rock going fairly fast could do some damage to that mount. Plus, I ride a lot in deep mud, will it get hung up on the bottom a lot?

ty

Old 04-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had my 2004 Sportsman 700 for about a year and a half with 123 hours and 2000 kms on it. I haven't had any damage to the plow mounting plate (other than a few small dents and dings). The metal is a pretty thick gauge and quite tough. The bit I used to drill the hole was a Greenlee Uni-Bit. It will drill a hole various sizes from 1/8" to 1 1/4".

Old 04-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I guess I'll just leave it on, and take it off if it causes any problems. It is nice to be able to move the plow when I need to.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

At the moment I haven't put my kit on my quad. Their isn't a need for it. No snow....I bought it because it was cheeper with a discount from buying my quad at the time. I was going to buy it later anyway. So I got it and saved some money.

My brother has his on his 04.5 700. It has hung him up in some mud holes. He hasn't threatened to take it off for the summer months though....Our local Polaris dealer drilled his plate when he had his quad in for the first service.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RYANKMILLER quotes- "Our local Polaris dealer drilled his plate when he had his quad in for the first service."

why did the service guys drill the plate?

Old 04-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

MTPockets- the glacier mount plate covers the drain hole on the front gearcase. So to drain it, you must either remove the plate each time, or drill a whole through which you can unscrew the drain plug.

The plate is just held on by four bolts, but the front two are in such a position where they can take you a long time to get them threaded, like removing the clip in the CV joint- easy in theory, but really hard to do without some good luck.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

oh yea, i just read the above posts a little more carefully. thanks for the info tyler911.

BTW, i plan on leaving my mounting plate on this Summer. although i might change my mind if i plan on doing any extreme mudding/ rock climbing. i think that little lip could be squished if i slam a rock. and that would be a pita to straighten-out once bent.
(that mounting plate sure was a pain to install.)

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

have not seen your mount but my factory one seems to get me hung up going over logs sometimes kinda a pain when everyone even hondas go over no problem and i get stuck. as far as tough i have hit some rocks real bad and not wrecked it yet. i ride with it on till i get pissed enough about getting hung up then take it off. ya i will take it off before the next ride lol then it starts again

Quick Reply: Leave glacier mount on or off?