Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Coolant Loss-2003 700 twin

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Loss-2003 700 twin

I have a 2003 700 twin with a coolant loss problem.. Shortly after I purchased it I noticed coolant leaking from the water pump cover. I took it to the dealer and it was fixed. Evidently that was a common problem and there was a recall that I was not notified about. Shortly after that I noticed that the coolant level in the reservoir kept dropping. I could find no external leaks. For about 1 year I kept topping off the reservoir. I had changed the oil at 20 hours all looked good. At 100 hours I checked the oil and it was way up on the dip stick. It was not milky or cloudy but it definitely indicated the coolant was going into the crank case. I took it to my tech who is a Polaris expert (Independent) and he did a compression test (good) and then replaced the seal in the water pump (Polaris updated this seal since I bought it) and rebuilt the water pump while he had it apart. Unfortunatley I do not think this fixed it. I am still losing fluid. I changed the oil again and am now monitoring the dip stick. It is very hard to see how much oil is on the dip stick with the oil being so new and clean. I cleaned the dipstick yesterday and spray painted the end of it with some high heat black paint. Hopefully I will be able to get an acurate reading as to the level. The machine has 131 hrs and 605 miles all of which were put on it in Georgia deer hunting. I do no trail riding and use it minimumly around the house during the year. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to post them.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Update!! Test and time have shown that there is no coolant going into the crank case. Also I have since learned that you have to check the oil level according to the manual. Oil and oil level are fine. I have checked the weep hole and the water pump itself and inspected the hoses/tee/fittings etc and see no coolant leaking. My coolant level is still dropping slowly and I have no idea where it is going. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

I recently read that someone checked their headbolt torque for this same problem and found the bolts torque less than spec, after retorqueing the bolts the coolant loss seem to be corrected. You might try that first, next option would be to add flourescent dye to the coolant and after some run time go over it good with a blacklight. Any external leak would show up clearly.

Another thought, I have a Predator that I installed air deflectors on the radiator in front of the coolant reservoir. During aggressive riding coolant would leak out of the vent in the reservoir cap and onto the rad shroud. I wouldn't have seen it if not for the shrouds. On the reservoir they have a coolant deflector cap inside the screw-on cap on the reservoir with a small hole in the center, I installed a small piece of open cell foam inside this deflector that allows the reservoir to vent but the coolant now stays in the reservoir, no longer splashes out on the rad shrouds. Might be worth trying......