Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Needle/seat or plugged air bleed!

Old 10-06-2000, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Let me guess, dirt in the bottom of the carb.

When you get into water over the carb, the water and mud go right up the drain tube. As I have explained 10 times, that tube servies two purposes.
1) drain line when draining the bowl
2) overflow drain when float sticks or bounces around.

the way the over flow works is there is a needle that you may recall seeing that extends from the bottom of the bowl up to the float level. If the carb go uders water above this point, the water gets into the carb. You will know this because the bike will miss alot and run rough. You may even have to drain the carb. Meanwhile some red neck genus will tell you how your plug got wet (LMAO) and how you need grease under the cap.

I have never seen that to be an issue. Anyway, if you ride in deep water alot and do not plug this drain line, you will build up dirt in the carb and eventually have problems. I always plug my drain before going swimming and unplug before I load to go home.
Don't keep us in suspense. Who's your daddy!!!!

Greg

Old 10-06-2000, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

I sent you an e-mail with the cause Greg, now you know the answer you can't tell anyone.
This is kinda fun
Rick
ps. so far Greg is the closest.

Old 10-06-2000, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

How am I going to look like I know what I am talking about if you tell every one you have already told me. BTW, I thought I had already told you about plugging that drain in deep water... maybe not. Well I just explained how it works. It is kinda funny that the people that work on these for a living do not have a clue about how a carb works. Almost every bike that goes into water above the carb will have this problem (water in carb) and if you ask the service guys, they will almost always tell you to put dilectric grease on the plug. Ha!

Greg

Old 10-06-2000, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry bro didn't know you were going to post again I read the inifo in one of your ealier post about the drain line, the dirt must have gotten in there prior to that, I keep a little screw in the compartment just for that purpose now. I'm still wainting for you to mail me the snorkel since I can't get ABS here.
Rick

Old 10-06-2000, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

My TBoss325 seems to be running rough, doesn't idle well and the plug is black. Could this be the same problem??

If so, what do I need to do to clean out the carb?, keep in mind I haven't seen a carb in 10 years.

Thanks, Mark

Old 10-06-2000, 03:24 AM
Range Rover

So I was on the right track when I disagreed with the air filter and suggested you look for a plugged orifice in the carb? Huh? Come on I wanna be right too? Dirt in the bowl plugged the main jet? So that means a plugged orifice right? Come on now.... Give us the answer! Please!

Old 10-06-2000, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Wouldn't a guy be better routing it back up near the gas tank fill (OR tee into tank vent)?

You could add a splice that could be pulled apart to drain the carb as well.

Old 10-06-2000, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

I guess you could, but it would not be an advantage. You would still have to disconnect it before transporting. What I thought of doing is to ad a resevoir like what is attached to the radiator. Then run a vent line up into the pod. Of course, you would have to watch this resevoir and empty it if it begins to fill up. This way you would have a low maintenance system that would serve the same purpose and you would not have to worry about it. UNLESS, the foat stuck and overflowed the resevoir, then it would fill the airbox with gas. I say just plug and unplug or turn the fuel off when transporting.

Greg

Old 10-06-2000, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

Yes Kieth, you are correct. When I removed the bottoom of the carb there was a bunch of little mud ***** (no pun intended here folks) About 1/4 teaspoon I guess in all. I sprayed carb cleaner in there quite a few times and then let in dry. Works great now.
Oh, by the way, Greg is giving away the prize for those who were correct
You're a great guy for doing that Greg!!!

Just turn the carb over and remove the 4 screws, there is nothing in there that will fall out. Spray a lot of cleaner in there and that should do the trick.

Man this is great, I'm starting to learn enough to give a little advise Again, thanks to all that helped.
Rick

Quick Reply: BOGGIN BAD