Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a after market oil filter you can buy besides Polaris brand?

Old 10-05-2000, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

This has been talked about before, I still like my Fram PH 6607. Much cheaper than the Polaris brand, buy 'em at Wallymart, but I change my oil every 50 hours anyways.

Old 10-06-2000, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yes this topic has been beat to death. Sometimes people should go to the search feature and type in the words oil filter in the Polaris forum.

Fram 6607, 6017A, (7317 1/2 inch longer must clear side covers, check yours first)

Also K-Mart sells the Penske and Castrol Brands (with the same spiral tube and base plate as the Wix)

Avoid the Napa 1358 as they only have half the filtration paper of the standard Wix filter. Must be the specs that NAPA ordered for this particular filter. I saw this in an actual test where the filters were cut apart. It is in the Victory V92C Motorcycle photo album on Yahoo. I will try and find it and post the link here. (This one could be controversial, somebody is bound to say, but the Napa is made by Wix and so is the Penske and Castrol? What's up with that?)

I wonder how much of the "Internet Knowledge" of filtration and oil is posted by industry insiders?

I remember a couple years ago that "Amsoil" and its nationwide sales representatives were the # 1 purveyor of motor oil opinion. (Why there were probably even a few reps that sowed the seeds of Fram Oil Filter bashing... Imagine that. )

Anyhow, like Mom used to say, "Don't bother talking to anyone about religion, politics and motor oil because you won't change anybody's mind."

The Kawasaki v-twin 1500 filter will also work

Old 10-06-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

You couldn't PAY me enough to run a Fram!

Old 10-06-2000, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Probably couldn't...

Because, the choices of motor oil and oil filters for some people can take on religious like proportions.

The selection of oil and filters are a deeply personal thing rooted deep within the subconscious, and the mere act of suggesting that some people try something different is akin to heresy.

Use what you want, spend what you want...

Old 10-06-2000, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

mudmagnum,

I personally don't have anything against Thor. However, I highly disagree with his choice on using a fram filter over a Napa 1358. He has the cutaways mixed up, and it is his own fram that was being put down. I've seen several filter cutaways, but never one sponsored by Fram. The fram is cheaper because it is cheaper made. The Napa 1358 is made by Wix. The same filter straight from Wix is 51358. Wix has an outstanding reputation for producing a quality products. Most mechanics will tell you to spend the little extra to avoid fram oil filters. I can buy the Wix filter 51358(fits all polaris 4-strokes) for around $6. You can get them at some auto parts places. I'm with DieselPro all the way as far as fram goes. If you're like me, you spent alot of money on your machine, spend time cleaning and maintaining it, so why not spend a little more money and have the insurance of knowing you're protecting your engine.

Old 10-06-2000, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Does this mean that all of the Artic Cats and Suzukis are doomed? I found this over at the Arctic Cat Forum.

minehunter
Boise, ID, US
Date Posted: Oct 05, 2000 11:58 PM The Fram filter for the AC is black. Internally it is IDENTICAL to the AC/Suzuki filter. Right down to the number stamped on the baffle plate. I have cut open a Fram motorcycle filter and compared it to the original that came on my 500 AC. I will continue to use the fram filter as I change my oil every 300 miles or less anyway.

Y2K Autocat, 2K winch, tow strap, GPS, Ready to ride at anytime. I just need a days notice.

garyc660R
logan, WV, US
Date Posted: Oct 06, 2000 9:00 AM

It appears OE filters made for ATV's are made cheap and made to last a small period of time. The FRAM filters that I have noticed for ATV applications appear to be superior to their OE replacements. I used a FRAM filter in the 400ex that I had for a year with no problems and the oil was always clean when changed (unlike the OE filter). The articles you mention are speaking of automobile applications. Good for automotive applications though.

400ex (gone!)
660R-BLUE

If people prefer to use Wix filters.

The Penske oil filters at K-Mart are definitely made by Wix. Their baseplate and spiral center tube are Wix hallmarks. So all you have to do is drive over to K-Mart instead of WalMart.

And... the Castrol filter looks exactly like the Penske filter. (Picked up 4 of them on Sunday) total cost $7.96 plus tax.

Old 10-08-2000, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/victoryv92c

Go to the photo album page and click on Iowavic's oil filter album to see the cutaways of the filters.

That Bosch filter looks really good!

You can also check out post # 19736,19740,19743.

The reason that this "motorcycle filter" conversation has relevance is because the Polaris ATVs us the same filter as the Victory Motorcycle.

Old 10-08-2000, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

If you cannot see the Fram for the cardboard end capped sheet metal springed piece of crap that it is, you must be as narrow minded as the crowd that always makes 2 word posts... "Ride Red"

Seriously, no offense intended, but the Fram has LESS PLEATS, CARDBOARD END CAPS (vs steel), and a CHINSY LITTLE SHEET METAL BYPASS SPRING vs. much larger coil spring.

My personal preference is Baldwin, and that is likely what I'll use.

Do your machine a favor, and use ANYTHING but Fram!

Old 10-09-2000, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Thor, I tried a Castrol filter awhile back and it would bottom out on the adapter before the gasket would seat. Double check yours before start up.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter