Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A mechanic told me he could turn my clutch 1/4 turn and get more torque, anyone heard of or tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A mechanic told me he could turn my clutch 1/4 turn and get more torque, anyone heard of or tried this?

Or heard of this? It's on a 2005 SP 400

Old 05-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A mechanic told me he could turn my clutch 1/4 turn and get more torque, anyone heard of or tried this?

You can not turn the secondary 1/4 turn. They only turn in 3rds. The helix is a 3 angle helix so you can only turn it 1/3rd at a time. There are several different spring positions in the secondary clutch that will change your shift rate but if you make it too tight you will lose top end because your primary will be at max shift out and the secondary will have to catch up and it will take alot longer to obtain top speed and you may not have the power to get there. If you want to get more power to the ground with quicker acceleration then change the primary spring and set the secondary at 2-2.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. Which Primary spring would I need?
Also, not sure what you mean by 2-2?

Old 05-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, but if he goes with a different primary spring, that will raise his engagement rpm. That might be fine to trail riding but if he uses it for plowing snow, working around the yard or slow-speed rock crawling it will burn up belts like crazy (because it will slip more).
Id leave it alone. My father has an '04 400 Sportsman and Ive had it up to 50 mph on the speedo. Thats plenty fast enough for a 700-pound ATV. If you have some need to go faster than that, I suggest you get yourself an 800 Sportsman.
Cap'n

Old 05-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not all springs raise the engagement. The spring that I use takes off like stock but has a higher shift out rpm. This gave me about a 7mph increase on top. I do alot of slow trails with rocks and it is great. Polaris clutching is very tame from the factory. The clutches are tuneable to get more of the power to the ground. Thats why they have different springs and weights. I have alot of miles on my atv and still on the origional belt. I replace my belt every 2 yrs anyway. It still looks great.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

I am not looking for top end. I rather lose some top end and pick up more torque. I like climbing (rocks, down trees, steep hills, etc.) and it would help to have more lower end power.
I am thinking of adding a pipe too.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

You are talking about the secondary spring. All the primary spring does is control engagement rpm.
I think that rathar than playing around with the clutch, Id just use low range.
Cap'n

Old 05-31-2005, 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know what spring I am talking about. I am talking about the primary spring. There are about 40 different primary springs that start from stock engagement, agressive mid to top or agressive engagement with mild mid to top.You can tune the clutch to ANY riding style just by changing the primary spring. OH and dont forget the clutch weights. Yes the spring does change engagement but also changes shift out on the primary. A stiffer spring will give higher top end rpm's. It takes alot longer for the belt to reach the top of the clutch sheeves. A softer spring will give lower rpm's and will get to the top of the clutch alot quicker. Your secondary will also determine how fast the driven clutch upshifts or downshifts. Clutch tuning is the key to Polaris clutches. I think you need to read up on your clutch tuning. AAEN has the best book for that.

Oldsmoboat,

Adding a pipe will do very little for power. If you want a different sound then get a slip on but if you are looking for power dont waste your money. Put it twards tuning the clutch. You will get much better results with the clutch. Ask anyone that knows Polaris how important tuning the clutch is. They will ALL agree with me.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 AM
Range Rover

Now that we are on the subject, let me tell you what I want and see if you can help me out. I have a 96 sp 500 with all the mods listed below. I am lookin for more bottom end power(for wheelies) but I want to retain as much top end speed as possible. I do a lot of hill climbing, Trail/Creek riding and may do some snow plowing this year, if i do it wont be much. What can I do with my clutch? I dont know much about the clutch so you will have to explain please

Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oondaddy get you either a white or green Polaris primary spring.

Quick Reply: A mechanic told me he could turn my clutch 1/4 turn and get more torque, anyone heard of or tried this?