Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POLARIS MIGHT BE TOAST

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLARIS MIGHT BE TOAST

where is that crank case breather hose located?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

The hose is located on the left side of the bike when your sitting on it. right about where your knee is you will see a hose with what looks to be a inline filter. follow it down to the enogine and you will see it is only clamped with a cheap squeeze clamp , change it to a gear clamp. Just another update on the bike I have no water showing now in the oil it looks good and clean. The bike doesn't smoke and it is performing as it always did. But when I really give it the revs when driving it up a hill or when I'm opening it up out on a straight stretch I can here a knock or a rattle. Wonder what it could be and what should I do now guys

Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

It may be that you're justing paying more attention to what you took for granted before. If the engine is damaged, there isn't anything you can do to reverse it. It could get worse, and if it does you rebuild it. Your oil analysis was positive, so that's a good thing.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: KINGSCLEAR
The hose is located on the left side of the bike when your sitting on it. right about where your knee is you will see a hose with what looks to be a inline filter. follow it down to the enogine and you will see it is only clamped with a cheap squeeze clamp , change it to a gear clamp.

THANKS for the info!!!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Well it's official it is screwed boys. The dealer dissassembled and found a scuffed piston. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. 1100 miles and needs an upper engine rebuild. Lets just say if it works long enough to trade it in I'll be happy. Have my doubts that I will trade it in on another Polaris. Going to take a serious look at the 660 Yamaha and the 650 Honda. To the engineer who disigned the crank case breather hose,may some day I find you standing in the middle of me trail. $600 estimated cost .

Old 06-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

That's some bad news, too bad you nevver caught it in time but that's next to impossible anyway. Somtimes its the simplest things that cause so much trouble. I had the rear brakes seize up after years of trouble free service (drum-forman 450). I found the little vent line had been torn open by a stray tree branch and had let water into the drum even though I meticuosly maintain them and the seals. Luckily a couple hours cleaning parts solved my problem.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KINGSCLEAR
Well it's official it is screwed boys. The dealer dissassembled and found a scuffed piston. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. 1100 miles and needs an upper engine rebuild. Lets just say if it works long enough to trade it in I'll be happy. Have my doubts that I will trade it in on another Polaris. Going to take a serious look at the 660 Yamaha and the 650 Honda. To the engineer who disigned the crank case breather hose,may some day I find you standing in the middle of me trail. $600 estimated cost .
considering all the water you had in that engine i'd say $600 is a pretty inexpensive repair!
i'd be happy if i were you!
plus, why did you bother having it torn apart if all you heard was a little knock inside at full throttle?

$600 is cheap considering how much it could have cost........ie a new engine!

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

But its still a PO that you have to spend $600 because of a poorly designed vent hose. That is a pretty decent price for a piston replacement, becareful, once they tear into it they may find scored bearings on the crank or cennecting rod = more $$$

Good thing you had it torn apart though, having a piston scored may have lasted awhile, but it also could give out totally without warning, and usually in a very inconvenient place!!!

Old 06-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well I just sent of a two page email to Polaris customer service telling them how I felt about it. I know how this should be handled as I am th warranty Manager for a major equipment manufacture and we do what you call special allowance warranty claims . When the unit is out of warranty but we feel failure was not customer misuse or abuse and the unit has low hours we chip in and help the customer out. We will see how Polaris handles it. I'll let you know if Polaris returns my email and what the response is. I doubt they will do anything

Old 06-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Range Rover

Don't take this the wrong way, but Polaris cautions in the owner's manual about operating the ATV in water higher than the footrest. In fact, my owner's manual contains the following

CAUTION
Major engine damage can result if the vehicle is not thoroughly inspected after operation in water. Perform the services outlined in the maintenance chart.

If your vehicle becomes emmersed or is operated in water that exceeds the footrest level, take it to your dealer for service before starting the engine

I know that breather vent is about level with the airbox. You can blame Polaris for a faulty design, but they tell you up front what the vehicle is designed to do and its limitation. If you go beyond that limit, I think you have to take some responsibility for making sure your machine is properly waterproofed. I'm only saying this because more people read these forums than owner's manuals and need to know this.

That being said, I would suspect you have more damage than just the piston. You likely have some accelerated bearing wear or damage and I'd check out the camshaft closely too.

Quick Reply: POLARIS MIGHT BE TOAST