Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery no charge; engine dies with High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005 | 09:26 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Battery no charge; engine dies with High Beams

Took my sportsman throught the mud again, had a great time. When I got back, the battery wouldnt hold a charge. I thought it was just all the mud under there, so I hosed everything out, and the battery loses its charge after a few hours. I also found out that when I put on the HIGH lights, the engine dies and the screen goes blank (cuts all power). I havent taken a look at it yet, but figured I would arm myself with some knowledge here first. Any ideas?

And the pull start doesnt work if the battery is completely drained, like trying to roll-start a car with a dead battery - no go?

Old 06-07-2005 | 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

I just recently went threw hell with What I thought a battery problem. Finally after many attemps and countless headaches my problem was a bad regulator. I replaced the battery anyway because it wasnt a real strong charge battery. heres what you do....... 1. start by putting your machine in neutral. with the key off. 2. hold your over ride button for atleast 15 seconds. 3. turn the key on but dont start while holding the override button. 4. You will be in diagostic mode. let go of the over ride and push the override to flash threw your modes. one will be the rpm, the oil pressure and one will be the battery volts . with the machine off it should be at 12.5 or better. anything lower and the battery needs charge. let me say this you need to charge the battery for atleast 12 hours on slow before doing these tests. now if you start your machine the diagostic mode will disap. NOW do the same thing as you just did but this time hold the override and start the machine. remember that you need to hold that override atleast 15 sec. and then start the machine Th diagostic mode will be back up again but now the machine will be running . Flash threw to you get to the battery again. NOW you should be slightly higher12.5-13.0v If you rev the machine up the volt guage should go up to around14.5-15.0 this is showing that your system is charging and most likely its your batterythats bad. If your volt guage does not go up its most likely your regultor. $75.00new. regultor. First pull the frt rack and the hood and look for any loose connections coming from in front of the rad. and between the rad grill. Hope this helps. Mark

Old 06-07-2005 | 04:06 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks mark. I did some of the prelim stuff, looked under the hood for loose wires. I did slow charge for 6 hours, but it was still dead a few hours later.

And with all electrical power cutting out with the high lights, I think that that is where my problem may lie.

Old 06-08-2005 | 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

I would put money on it simply being a broken battery from what you've said. If it's been exposed to freezing temperatures, allowed to run totally flat or overcharged it's probably ruined.

Old 06-08-2005 | 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Start her up and while it is running pull the negative battery cable from the battery if it dies then you have problems other than the battery. If it still runs then replace your battery and you should be good to go

Old 06-08-2005 | 08:06 PM
|
Pro Rider

But that doesnt explain the power short-out when I turn the high beams on? It ran fine for half an hour of winching, low beams, but the switch shorts out on HIGH.

Old 06-09-2005 | 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

well if your generator isn't working then when you pull the extra power for the high beams it can take power away from the ignition. that was my thinking when I suggested that. Just an easy diagnostic tip before you go tearing stuff apart.

Old 06-09-2005 | 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Tyler,

I bet it's a bad "control module". Take it into your dealer and have it replaced free of charge as there is a recall on them.

Old 06-09-2005 | 04:10 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScramaDamaDingDong
well if your generator isn't working then when you pull the extra power for the high beams it can take power away from the ignition. that was my thinking when I suggested that. Just an easy diagnostic tip before you go tearing stuff apart.
I know thats what you meant, but the second I turn on the high, the screen goes blank. And it runs the winch, the lows, and my driving lights (which usaully really tax the electrical system, they are too high wattage).

Paramedic, I'll give the dealer a call about that control module.

Old 06-09-2005 | 04:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

Actually, the recall here says its only for 2005 400's, but 2004.5 500's. So my 400 isnt included. I'll still give them a ring, though.

Quick Reply: Battery no charge; engine dies with High Beams