ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   polaris screwed up with this one (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/208065-polaris-screwed-up-one.html)

ScramaDamaDingDong 06-24-2005 02:44 AM

polaris screwed up with this one

I'd be pissed too. bug and tar remover, paint thinner if it was an oil based paint, a strong detergent if it was latex based. Sometimes a pressure washer will take care of it. Plastic polish or a polishing compound would be something to try. Sucks you can't get the new plastic but I think it should clean up but will probably take some serious elbow greese and time

You other guys should feel bad for putting this man down he had a great question and i can bet if it was your 7 grand with overspray on it you would be upset as well. No need for wars let's just try to help him out anyway we can.

Is there a polaris customer service number you can call and explain the story. If your real nice they might be able to dig you up a set of plastics somewhere. Tell em you had your first polaris for 10 years and just bought this wonderful mahine to replace it bla bla bla. hopefully that can get you somewhere.

mudmaster250 06-24-2005 02:47 AM

hey thanks man, ill let my friends brother know what u said to try.

ScramaDamaDingDong 06-24-2005 02:49 AM

no problem friend

duneaholic 06-24-2005 03:20 AM

Hey Scott you may also try brake cleaner. I used it to clean my plastic before putting on the new graphics kit. That's what the guy at GrahpicMX says he uses to get all the dirt off and get it real clean before applying the graphics.

action450s 06-24-2005 12:28 PM

First of all, regardless of who paid what, a contractor messed up and got paint on something due to his own negligence. Have the guy replace/clean the seat and all textured plastic peices, that should be pretty easy to do. Try to stay away from the harsh chemicals, likely they will do more harm then good.

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a clay bar kit from the car cleaning products section. Its a bar of modeling clay and a spray lubricant. Basically you spray the lubricant on the plastic and rub it over with the clay bar. This will work well on smooth surfaces similar to a cars painted surface, so plastics on a bike, metal racks and all that stuff should come clean.

Mrhell 06-24-2005 01:14 PM

Well that sucks. Yet another example of why I try not to hire out ANYTHING...quality and craftsmanship are hard to find these days, people just don't seem to really care about anything except getting paid. Allot of them charge full, going-rate prices and only deliver 1/2 the job.

Anyway, ditto on the clay bar, I know "Mothers" brand sells their clay kit for around $18.00, your local chain auto parts stores should carry them in the detailing section (waxes, polishes, etc.), it's great maintenance for paint jobs, but I don't think you'll need it. Try the Goo Gone or a little gas first, those should work fine.

Also watch the BRAKE CLEAN! It will most certainly work, but it takes off ALL paint easily without even scrubbing and will cloud and/or fade some plastics. If you use brake cleaner only dampen the rag, don't drench it A little goes a long way, it's harsh stuff.

Your buddy might just want to do the cleaning himself, Mr. painter already did enough! Just have him give some cash reinbursement for HIS mistake. Probably an honest mistake, but I've learned you just can't assume anyone is going to do anything right these days from the fast food kids all the way up to the so called "professionals". Sad.

Just my opinion, good luck!

RC

mtpockets 06-24-2005 01:28 PM

Originally posted by: mudmaster250
my friends dad jsut got their shed painted and the fourwheelers were out and the wind shifted and they all got white paint specs all over them. his brother just bought a brand new 2004.5 50 annivesery(spelling) and hes pissed cuz theres white speckles all over the seat racks and bumper and the plastic. the guys who painted it is gonna pay for it but he called the dealer and they cant get new replacement plastic for it. i know the 50th was a limited run but it seems crazy to me that they arnt gonna be making any more runs of it. you would think they would since ppl are bound to roll it and break stuff or something could happen. the dealership has the 50th plastic in one color but not the one he has and he dosnt want the other one. is there anyway to get a brand new set of plastic? thanks
scott
if your dad had a 2004 50th Anni. Sportsman it only came in ONE color- the painted dark blue met.(i own one)

your dealer is stupid if he is telling you it came in different colors! (or trying to con you)

~MT

KINGSCLEAR 06-24-2005 01:30 PM

Hi,I'd like to add my two cents. You should be able to clean it ,it may come off with a good wax or a real fine and I mean a fine rubbing compound. If not paint reducer will for sure, don't use paint thinner it will take things you don't want off. If it is a latex and maybe it is seeing it was house paint you will be pleaseantly surprised with what a comman cleaner like spray nine will do. PS. listen man don't worry about the negativity you recieved about painting the shed, some people live their life that way. I used to do everything myself never paid anyone to do anything from roofing my house to changing the oil in my truck. I now look at what has to be done and say should I do it myself or should I pay some guy a 1/4 of what I make to do it for me,because all the time I used to spend doing everything myself is time I wasn't doing something I enjoy. I had a guy jump on me the other day when he found out I was taking my truck to the dealer to have the oil changed,he said why would you pay someone to do that, Well the dealer charges me $19.99. that is the oil the filter and a 15 point inspection. The oil and filter was costing me $13.00 so it's a no brainer.

mudmaster250 06-24-2005 01:39 PM

Originally posted by: mtpockets

Originally posted by: mudmaster250
my friends dad jsut got their shed painted and the fourwheelers were out and the wind shifted and they all got white paint specs all over them. his brother just bought a brand new 2004.5 50 annivesery(spelling) and hes pissed cuz theres white speckles all over the seat racks and bumper and the plastic. the guys who painted it is gonna pay for it but he called the dealer and they cant get new replacement plastic for it. i know the 50th was a limited run but it seems crazy to me that they arnt gonna be making any more runs of it. you would think they would since ppl are bound to roll it and break stuff or something could happen. the dealership has the 50th plastic in one color but not the one he has and he dosnt want the other one. is there anyway to get a brand new set of plastic? thanks
scott
if your dad had a 2004 50th Anni. Sportsman it only came in ONE color- the painted dark blue met.(i own one)

your dealer is stupid if he is telling you it came in different colors! (or trying to con you)

~MT
all i know is that when my friends brother called the dealership about his plastic they said that they had it in sonic blue but not the dark blue. i thought it was just the dark blue to.

Catterman 06-24-2005 01:49 PM

Originally posted by: Kevin108
Who whines about a little overspray on a fourwheeler? Mine's so covered and mud and scratches you'd never see overspray. And I bought it June 15th!

Nevermind, I know who whines about overspray on a fourwheeler - the same kind of people who pay to get a shed painted.
Optimist Prime, that is one of the funniest things I have read on ATVconnection!

mudmaster250, your friend should have had those ATV's parked a mile away. Sorry to hear it happened.