Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rattlesnakes, gotta love em', check out my pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005 | 01:41 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Rattlesnakes, gotta love em', check out my pics

Been going out by the house to get some snakes. My friend said their snake handler needed them for dog training. They pull the fangs to train their hunting dogs not to go near snakes.

Anyways, two weeks ago I caught a 6 footer, but rattler, 13 rattles on his tail. I didn't get a picture. But last night I went out and got to snakes and remembered to bring the camera with me.

Needless to say, I haven't been walking the dog near my house, too many rattlers this year.

Dave

go to the link below, click on 'all' near the bottom of the page to see all the pics, click on any pic to enlarge....

Rattlesnakes, etc.

Old 06-26-2005 | 02:25 AM
Quad Patrol

Nice pictures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] do you turn them over dead or alive? I've only come across rattlers a couple times in the wild and I just went the other way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2005 | 07:35 AM
Range Rover

I seen them around when I was in Florida , but I dont go near snakes , I dont fear much in this world but snakes , I leave alone...expecially ones like that , Nice pictures though.

Old 06-26-2005 | 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

I don't even like dead snakes!

Old 06-26-2005 | 11:41 AM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Nice pictures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] do you turn them over dead or alive? I've only come across rattlers a couple times in the wild and I just went the other way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I caught these snakes alive to give to a friend to use for dog training. They do a three step approach, first put the snake in an area and walk the dog nearby, but so he can't see the snake and downwind. When the dog gets the scent of the snake, they zap him on hi setting with the shock collar. Then they put the snake in some thick brush that the dog can't get to, but can see the snake and the snake can see him and it rattles, then zap the dog again. Then they put the snake in an area that is accessible to the dog, let the snake strike at the dog and zap the dog again. They pull the fangs on the snake. Snakes have multiple sets of fangs and shed them....so when they pull the first set, they dig out the second set and then they are good for a couple of days....

If I plan on eating the snake, I behead them in the field, about 2" behind the head and let the blood run out....I leave the head in the field as it is just as dangerous off the snake as on the snake.

dave

Old 06-26-2005 | 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Wow.

I am certain I would be dead just seeing one of those things. I would like to hunt them, or be with someone hunting them. I have wanted to taste some rattlesnake, and I like the skin mounted on a plaque.

Be careful!

Old 06-26-2005 | 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

kind of chewey but not too bad.

That second one looks like it just ate

Old 06-26-2005 | 07:17 PM
|
Pro Rider

yeah, the one coiled on the trail definitely caught something in the past day, can see it in his mid section....

the main thing to eating rattlesnake is preparing them right....

Old 06-26-2005 | 07:57 PM
Quad Patrol

Interesting, I guess if you have a prized, expensive dog[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You don't want them to investigate a snake[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] You are right about dead snakes being as dangerous as live snakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] May you continue to be safe in your future adventures[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2005 | 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

That's pretty cool.

Here in Maine, we have no poisonous snakes. I couldn't imagine having to worry about them in the woods and in fields.

Quick Reply: Rattlesnakes, gotta love em', check out my pics