Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1st Polaris 400 Sport 2x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a '97 polaris 400 Sport 2x4 with a few mods such as a weisco .020 over, ported, lightened flywheel, Delta V-Force, K&N, and a DG pipe. I believe RCR did the work. I was wondering what kind of horsepower does this machine produce? How does it stack up against other machines such as the 400ex, Banshee, Warrior ect..? I've been reading about green, white, orange clutch springs. Which spring would work best for this machine? Sorry for asking so many questions but I really don't know much about Polaris.

Old 10-12-2000, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Your quad probably hits around the 50 HP range. The pipe adds around 8-10 HP, the reeds, supposedly 2 HP, plus it bored over. In a drag race, you would eat the 400 EX alive. It would be really close with the Banshee, the guy with the Warrior might as well leave it on the truck. But, in the woods, you will probably get left behind, due to the weight and handling of the quad. The best thing for you to do now, performance wise, is get an HPD clutch kit ($80)

Old 10-12-2000, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

If you think RCR did the work, I would call them first if I was contemplating a clutch kit. They would know best how much power it should make & should be more knowledgable about matching the clutching to your needs/riding style. You don't have to worry about Rick trying to talk you into something you don't need. He actually kind of discouraged me from spending more money on a kit until I tried changing springs first. Haven't got it in yet, still using all the available daylight for harvest.
Farmr

Old 10-12-2000, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

The guess of 50HP sounds pretty close, but remember that this number is taken off the crank. RWHP is probably closer to 42.

With the right clutch set up you may get an EX in a drag, off the line, but not on top without a bigger carb and some mild porting. Trust me I know, I've been there.

Rick kas done all the motor work to my '99. I started with his stage 1 kit, and have progressed to a full HPD race mod motor, so I know what gains can be expected at each mod stage.

A simple .020 over piston doesn't amount to much, even with the other mods. Actual displacement may have increased by 5cc. The reasoning that mega HP is gained by a bore job is grossly exaggerated.

I see your in ST. Louis also, I'm in Creve Couer, so if you'd like to get together sometime and ride let me know. I haven't ridden in awhile and would like to go before it geets too cold.

Go Cards!!

Old 10-13-2000, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

I would hold off before you order a clucth kit. Because usually when you do all them mods, specially if a tuner themselves did the work. clutch work was probably already done. to match the new engine performance, or atleast it should of been. because if it wasnt your not getting nearly any of the new found power that you could of. So before you wate money check into if it had any clutch work done already.
matty

Old 10-13-2000, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

I ride at St. Joe all the time. This Saturday, Big River will be running sanddrags in Bonne Terre. Practice starts at 1 p.m. and races start at 2-2:30 p.m.. Any one can do this. $6 per person to get through the gate and $22 to race. All you need is a helmet. Depending how many quads show up (last weekend 50 quads showed up) you can win $400-$500 if you are the top eliminator. First time I did it I was hooked. ITS A BLAST! Polaris's win there all the time the same with 400ex's. Take 67 South to the Bonne Terre exit and turn left. Go 1/4 mile or so to the top of the little hill and turn left. Follow the sign. The more the merrier, so tell your friends. I've got a '99 white Dodge Ram extended cab and I'll be there with my 400EX #84A (Polaris not picked up yet). See You There.

Old 10-13-2000, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

he should have no trouble drag racing a 400ex my friends stock 400 Xpress wipes out a 400ex in a straight line race. It is faster on the top end to.

Old 10-13-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I know about Bonne Terre. My friend Jason, from Midwest Sports Center, races an alcohol burning 400 Sport ('96)there. Another friend of mine is Ray Chasteen, the guy with thr CR500/250R monster on NOS. I hope to race my 400 there next year. I'm working on an alcohol system now, and need to do some fine clutch tuning.

Weather doesn't look very good for riding this weekend. I need to bleed my rear brakes and hope to go riding next weekend at St Joe.

Old 10-13-2000, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

do any of you guys use the generation 2 adjustable pipe from hotseat?

Old 10-13-2000, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

I don't. I run...

HPD nickel trail w/ a Ritter silencer. HPD billet head w/ girdle kit and 14.5:1 dome, Wiseco, custom Ritter porting, 105 gas, 39PWK, K$N (no air box), V-Force rad valve, removed cooling fan and oil injector, use Maxima 927 @ 40:1, HPD red/yellow primary spring, 54gm weights, HPD lavender rear with AAEN roller, AAEEN adjustable damper, +3" Hot Seat swingarm (powder coated red), routed my own stainless steel brake line with independent F/R levers, Holeshot XC's on .190's (Skat-Trak 8P Haulers for sand), 14/36 gearing, and a plethera of other go fast goodies.

Quick Reply: 1st Polaris 400 Sport 2x4