Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Car tach on my quad is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car tach on my quad is it possible???

I have seen pics of people with sunpro tachs on there polaris's but i tryed it but i cant get it to work but i hook up the light, ground, power and negative side of coil but it doesn't work!I have a 2005 trail boss 330 can some one explain to me how to do it or is it impossible? thank you.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Can't help you, but nice city you live in.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

I'm assuming your tach is single cylinder compatible? Are you not getting any reading at all from it? You may have a bad tach, have you tried that tach on anything else?
Nevermind, from the topic title, I'm assuming you bought a basic car tach. Well it's either calibrated for a 4 6 or 8 cylinder engine, or it's adjustable. Either way if it's not capable of doing single cylinders it won't work. Even if it would, it would be reading 1/4, 1/6, or 1/8 your actual rpm. So if it's an 8cylinder tach, you'd have to have the engine at 8000rpm just to display 1000rpm.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Im not sure about your quad but the scrambler you need a 6 pulse tach. I got mine from ebay, it was out of a polaris sled.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

yes its possible. i just installed a sunpro on my scrambler 500. your 330 should be very similar as far as wiring goes.

do a search on this forum under "scrambler tach" there should be a complete list of instructions that someone posted. that is what i used to install mine. really pretty simple.

good luck!!

X

Old 07-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

X

i cant find the 'scrambler tach' thread so could you find it for me or tell me how you put your on beacause i already made a custom bracket for the tach but i tried hooking it up like on a car but it dosen't work so tell me how you got yours to work properly

bob

Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

ok man,

im actually having trouble finding the actual post too. i printed it off a while ago for this project. but i dont wanna retype the whole thing cuz its really long.

heres the sum up:

GREEN wire from tach to the YELLOW/RED wire offa the CDI box. its a black box mounted on the firewall(if its called that)

BLACK wire from tach to anywhere thats a ground.(i put a fitting on it and used the bolt that mounts the cdi box.)

REDwire from tach to the RED wire with WHITE stripe offa the key ignition(not the white wire with the red stripe)

WHITE wire from tach to the headlight circuit, YELLOW wires or GREEN wires or both

i found it was most accurate in the 8 cyl setting.

i hope this help you out man, its sure is cool to have a tach. i like to keep tabs on my motor.

X

Old 07-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the help X i really appriciate it talk to you later

BTW do u still have a chrome battery guard or a clutch cover decal and if yes what the price.

Thanks

Bob

Old 07-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

not sure what tach to use on your 4-stroke but the sunpro works on the 4cyl setting only on a 2-stroke. Here is the wiring set up for the scrambler 2-stroke with the sunpro tach.

I have one on mine. The tach is a Sun Supertach II which I purchased from Autozone for about $35. There's a black faced one that's the same for about $29. The choice is yours. You will also need to go to radio shack and pick up a pack of red wire splice/coneectors to connect the wires off the tach to the bike(it actually comes with 4 in the package but you actually need 5. You also need to pick up a pack of wire conectors(yellow I believe). I'm not sure what the proper name for these are. It's the type of connection that you use to join 2 wires together with a crimping tool. Both of these together probably won't cost you $3. While your at the shack, also pick up a tube of clear silicone with the long pointed end on it if you want to add some additional element protectio to it.

#1. Remove the front cowling(hood) off of the bike and disconnect the battery cables in the back of the bike.

#2. Take the mount that comes with the tach and put it in a vice and smash the bottom of it till it's flat and not curved anymore(you'll see what I'm talking about when you look at the mount). Do not flatten out the concave part of the mount that the tach actually mounts on to. You need to flatten the bottom of the mounbt because you will be mounting it onto one of the bolts holding the handlebar in place. You will have to take a bolt off of the handlebar mount (one of them on the front side of the bike)and drill out the hole on the bottom of the tach mount big enough to slide the bolt through.

#3. Use the silicone and apply some all around the inside edge of the face of the tach and use a shop towel(or a rag with little grain to it) to force the silicone into the inside edges of the face. Do the same thing to the bottom side of the tach. Now make sure and slide the protective wire covering all the way up and into the tach housing and then slide the rubber grommet all the way up the wires till it is at the inside edge of the tach housing. Then take the wires and slide then through the tach mount and slide the plastis tach housing securing cap onto the wires all the way up to the tach and tighten the tach onto the mount.

#4. Use some more silicone to fill up the area around the wires coming out the back of the tach and let dry. Make SURE and put the switch on the back of the tach to the 4 cyl setting!

#5. Now mounthe tach by bolting it down onto the front side of the handlebar mount.

#6. Sit on the bike in your normal riding position and gently bend the tach towards the front of the bike until you are able to see it the way you want to.

#7. You will need wire cutters/strippers/crimping tool now. Connect the green wire to the Yellow/red wire coming off the rev limmiter switch located right behind the oil tank on the right side using the red splicing connectors that come with the tach.

#8. Connect the black wire to the brown wire coming off of the headlight wires(connect it as far down as you can so it won't be visible when you put the hood back on the bike).

#9. Connect the red wire to the Red/white(should be able to use the one off the ignition switch although I believe any Red/white would work) off the ignition switch.

#10. Take the wire cutters and cut off a 1' section off the white wire and take the 1' piece and cut it in half. Then twist the 2 pieces together and stick the end into the wire splicing connector and crimp it. Then taqke the white wire coming off the tach and put it into the other end of the crimp connector and crimp it together so that you now have 2 white wires, one of each to connect to the green wires coming from each headlight(that way your tach will be illuminated at night no matter whether you have the light on dim or bright)

#11. Here's a bit of advice: Before you snap the red connectors closed, Coonect the battery back and turn the ignition on and use a power probe to check and make sure that you indeed do have the tach properly grounded and to make sure that you have power to it when the ignition is on and no power to it when the ignition is off. I'm sure this is a cake walk for you as you are a electrical engineer as I think I remember. If everything checks out, turn the ignition switch on and the tach needle should jump to 0. Then fire the bike up and see if it works(it should).

Sorry about the long post and I can't be 100% sure that I didn't leave out a detail, but if i did and you have a question, just let us know and I'm sure either i or someone else here will come up with a answer. Best of luck.

The above was copied and pasted from the Scrambler Tach thread and is not my work. The original poster was BayouBlaster

Tach thread

Old 07-04-2005, 05:13 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks scrama i appritiate the info.

Bob

Quick Reply: Car tach on my quad is it possible???