Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Please help me! scrambler 4x4 not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me! scrambler 4x4 not working.

i bought a 2000 scrambler 500 4x4, and i didn't have a chance to make sure the 4x4 worked (mistake that i won't make again).

i got it home, and took it out in the mud. neither wheel would lock. then i found that the right wheel would lock if i spun the rear wheels enough (alot). the left wheel never would lock.

we put it up on cinder blocks, and the left wheel seemed to engage fine, but the right wheel still wouldn't engage untill the rear wheels were spinning pretty fast.

so, left wheel: there was no atf fluid in the hub, and the bearings were not greased. i cleaned everything, greased the bearings and replaced the armature plate. filled it with castrol atf type f.

right wheel: there was no fluid, the hub was packed with bearing grease, and the clutch (with armature plate) was backwards! i did everything the same as the left. i took it out, and now the right wheel engages great, but the left is the same-nothing. i forget to check the right, but the left didn't have a very strong pull at where the armature goes. i checked the inner/outer poll sleave, but i could have done it wrong.

i am quite fustrated, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Ok first thing you need to do is take everything back apart and get rid of all the grease there shouldn't be any grease at all in those hubs. Clean everything out real well with brake cleaner and then put it back together. Get the Polaris hub fluid and use that I use Mobil 1 synthetic atf but some people have problems when they use it. Once you get it clean and back together with the polaris fluid then check the 4wd again. It will most likely work fine. If it doesn't then it's time to start looking at the armature and the electric parts.

here is a link to the order everything goes click here

When you fill the hub you have to rotate the hub to the 3 o'clock position to allow any extra fluid to drain out. You don't fill them all the way up.

If you don't use the polaris fluid then you can't be sure that the problem is the fluid. The hubs are very very picky about fluid

Old 07-09-2005, 02:58 AM
Trailblazer

so i shouldn't pack the bearings at all? not even the third bearing in the magnetic sleeve part? (and what about those? could they be out of alignment?)

i filled the hubs correctly, but to the 4 o'clock position.

i already replaced the armature in both hubs.

so, even though everything is equal between hubs, the incorrect fluid and the grease could be causeing only the left wheel to malfunction?

thanks alot for your help.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://imageevent.com/gsimpson/fourbyfour

Old 07-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

bump for my early questions. thanks.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 AM
RJF
Range Rover

I thought on the earlier 4x4 system (not the ondemand) that the front differential is open? So you would only get one front wheel recieving power. ??? We have a '99 Xplorer with the older 4x4 system, probably the same as your 2000 Scrammy, and only one front tire grabbs at a time.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

no, the scrambler is a true locking diff.