Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

now what??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default now what??

Sorry for the length, I didn't know what was important and what wasn't.

I went out with my brother riding on my 95 xplorer 400, and at first it was fine, but then after a bit it wouldn't idle well, kept stalling. Then it seemed to not have as much power. Then it stalled, and wouldn't start for anything. At the time we were climbing up a bit of a hill, so I thought maybe that it wasn't getting gas to the cylinder. We rolled it back and turned it around, and it finally started.

Everything seemed ok for a while, although it still seemed a bit low on the power side. Then after climbing a fairly steep but short hill the temp light came on, even though the fan had been running the whole time. (sensor went out, wired it to a switch). I stopped, and that was it. Let it sit and cool off with the fan running, but then it just wouldn't start. choke, no choke, no difference. I could feel it pulling air, and there was spark. If I blew on the vent line outta the top rear of the carb gas would go right in, but still wouldn't start.

I pulled the new spark plug that I put in it about three days (maybe two hours of riding time) earlier, and it was fairly black. Not thick, just an even coating. Is that normal? Tried putting in a new plug and forgot to put the cable on. Cranked it and realized what I did, put the cable on and tried again and got a BIG backfire. Came from the exhaust, but it worried me. After that it would crank and then give off a small backfire, but not start. After a while we decided to tow it, and while my brother got his strap out I kept cranking it. Finally I cranked it and held the throttle wide open and it started up, although a little rough. I had to work the throttle to get it to spped up the idle. Jumped on it and rode back to my truck, but there was a DEFINATE power loss. It stalled a couple of times, but started right back up. When I got to my truck it died and hasn't started since. Still does that little backfire thing when I try it. I hope that its not something serious.

I am at a total loss. Could my oil injection have locked up? I'm going to test it, but I don't know what the sypmtoms are. I did just realize that even after I've ridden it for around 10 hours the oil level hasn't dropped any that I could notice. Could it be something with the engine itself? What about the reeds? I don't even really know what those are! I've fixed a bunch of stuff on this quad and it seemed to be running well until this. It has new fuel lines and filter, I had to adjust the ETC once, and at first the choke was stuck half shut. I could really use some help. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer
Default now what??

had a '92 trail boss that did the same thing. turns out the choke needed adjusted as it was partially on.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default now what??

how do you know which way to adjust the choke? I mean, how would I be able to check and see if thats the problem? And would that cause the bike to overheat the way it did?