Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need help with a couple of items

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a couple of items

I'm wanting to service my 04.5 sportsman 500 and need to know a couple of things.

1. Want to know how to change trannsmission fluid? How do you get the fluid out and where is the drain plug?
2. Same questions as above on front gear case?
3. same for the rear gear case
4. anything else that needs to be serviced.

All I have done is changed oil and filter and greased 3 fittings. Thanks so much for your help. I know this is a bunch of items but I'm not too good at these things and don't have the $$ to take it in.

Noble

Old 07-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

I guess too much at one time! Sorry.

Noble

Old 07-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Near the bottom on the right side of the transmission should be the drain plug. Then near the top should be the dio stick for filling and checking the fluid levels. I am not sure where the drain plug is on the diffs. Your owners manual should have diagrams and instructions on how to maintain these.
The only other thing your should be checking on a regular basis is your air filter. The crappy paper element Polaris uses clogs fast and needs to be changed often. The pre-filter can just be cleaned with soap and water. I switched to a dual stage foam filter from Twin Air. These you have to keep clean and well oiled.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Noble, I really can't answer your question because my Sportsman is a 2002 and the tranny and front gearcase are different. Your owners manual should cover the location of your drain holes. On my Sportsman the drain holes are in the bottom of each unit. Hope this helps. I have 22 or 23 zerks to grease. I change my fluids every year and oil and filter about every 30 hours and grease at the same time. If i do any deep water riding I grease it up after the ride.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys but one more question. I can't find the dipstick on the right side for the trannsmission. I took the plastic off and looked over real good but didn't see one. On a pic from my owners manual it shows it should be where the pull start handle is behind that. I looked every where with no luck. Mine is knocking so loud, I thought I would change all fluids.

Noble

Old 07-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said mine is a 2002 but mine is about straight across from the front part of the right rear wheel. But I know your tranny is different.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry guys but I can't find mine still. Could I have lost it out some where while riding. I can't see a hole for one either.

Noble

Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

they are usualy hard to find cause they covered in dirt and grease if its clean you should be able to see it when looking from the rear right side if not try feeling around for it

Old 07-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is fairly clean but I sprayed it off again and still can't find it. I feeled around too. Can some one be more specific as to where its at? Is it really small. I know what a dipstick looks like but this is driving me crazy. Anyone have a pic of where it should be. I'm looing on the right side od atv. I took the plastic off and still can't find it.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

would be relativly small and the screw cap type. try looking right behind the shaft

Quick Reply: need help with a couple of items