Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 800 vs. Bomb 800

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 800 vs. Bomb 800

Everyone saying the Bomb, is "THE" ATV, and it will blow everything else out of the water. Is it really going to be "THAT MUCH" better than the SP 800, and other top big bores.?
------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb Warn Winch
High Performance Dayco Belt

2001 Honda Rancher ES (2WD)
2.5 Warn Winch
(FOR SALE)

Old 07-23-2005, 12:38 AM
RJF
Range Rover

Depends on what you plan on doing with the ATV.

The Outlander only weighs 639lbs. I would imagine it's a rocket and probably feels VERY sporty for it's size. I would imagine the Outlander is more fun to ride in challenging terrain than the Sportsman.

If you work with your ATV like I do, i would imagine the Sp 800 would be a better choice. It's 765 or 95, something like that, which is a LOT for an ATV and is the heaviest on the market. This is great for dragging around a cart, pulling out other ATV's, yanking on fence posts(my case) or what ever that might intail strait out pulling. Polaris is known for having stout products, and that reputation was built on their Sportsmans and EDGE sleds. I have never owned or even seen a Bombardier ATV and don't know their quality but I do know they own Ski-Doo and am very familiar with their Revv snowmobiles. Good quality sleds, but can't run with my Polaris Vertical Escape. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I will be very interested in the Outlander 800 when it's time for our '02 SP700 to go. I like the idea of a light weight 800.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Very well said RJF!!! A lot of people don't understand weight and pulling power.............you obviously do.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:35 AM
RJF
Range Rover

We have two late model Dodge Cummins and I'm a moderator at www.towrig.com ....I know pulling![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Agreed RJF,

The outlander has a ton of aluminum on it. WAY too much in my opinion. The aluminum serves it's purpose of making the quad light and sport, and that's all the outlander is, a sport quad.
The front and back of the quad is ALL aluminum. That is completely inappropraite for any work in my opinion. I wouldn't even think about doing any work with an outlander.

The outlander is just a corvette. Nothing wrong with a vette, but I wouldn't plow snow with one.

The Sportman, however, is a hummer with a corvette engine. And it's quite sporty also. The best of both worlds in my opinion.

Have a Nice Day People!

Old 07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
RJF
Range Rover

Originally posted by: jefffoxsr
Agreed RJF,

The outlander has a ton of aluminum on it. WAY too much in my opinion. The aluminum serves it's purpose of making the quad light and sport, and that's all the outlander is, a sport quad.
The front and back of the quad is ALL aluminum. That is completely inappropraite for any work in my opinion. I wouldn't even think about doing any work with an outlander.
I would agree that aluminum is not that great of a choice in most cases but I wouldn't cast it to the side as a weak machine.

My Polaris Vertical Escape has an 800cc 2 stroke engine that makes about 150HP.... and the whole sled only weighs 478lbs dry. How so light? It's almost all aluminum with some chrome moly here and there. I beat on my sled harder than I have ever beat on my Sportsman working.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I plan on giving the Outlander a chance. If the aluminum chassis does prove to be weak, than I completely agree. But...I would bet it will hold up fine.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't looked at an outlander 800 personally. It may have more steel. I am commenting based on what is factual about my outlander 400. I understand the overall design of the 800 is the same, just bigger to accomodate the larger engine.
They could have made the same tubular rack design out of aluminum then for the 800 if there's still aluminum under the racks. We'll have to wait and see.

BRP did not make the outlander for working at all. Also, if you take a look at the Traxter frame it is incredible. I have seen the traxter frame bare. It is really well designed. It looks much more strong than the frame on the sportsman. Although it may not be. It has a ton of steel and is a more full frame.

BRP went in the opposite direction for the outlander. The aluminum is VERY thin and VERY weak on the outlander. I have one and I know.

The outlander will probably hold up ok, but only for it's intended use, which does not include work.

The way the aluminum has been integrated on my outlander is very weak also. I would not ask the outlander to do anything but ride on the trail.

Trending Topics

Old 07-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

jefffoxsr

I do not own a Bomb, but I would have to agree with you on the aluminum making it look fragile. I especially do not like how the put the alum. under the floor boards, does not look to sturdy to me.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:11 PM
RJF
Range Rover

I didn't notice you owned one, oops.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: JJonJon
Everyone saying the Bomb, is "THE" ATV, and it will blow everything else out of the water. Is it really going to be "THAT MUCH" better than the SP 800, and other top big bores.?[quote]

The Bomb will certainly be the fastest big bore out of the box, simply because it has a bigger engine than anything else currently on the market, speed isn't everthing in Big bores though, I personally don't think it will be "THAT MUCH" better than all the other big bores, all the other big bore quads are very good machines with a lot of power and I don't think it's going to live up to all the hype of blowing everything away, especially with quads like the Polaris 800, Brute Force and KQ which are all very tough quads to simply blow away, since almost everyone has already added performance mods to their current Big Bore quads which will make them not far off from the Bomb 800 as well. As I've heard it said in these forums before, you'll only be a few of quad lengths behind on the trail even if your riding a 500cc quad, and trail riding is really what these quads are built for, not drag racing.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 800 vs. Bomb 800