Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 hpd race mod ---carbs???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 hpd race mod ---carbs???

I was cleaning out some old paper work the other day and came across a old 2000 hpd mag/catalog.I looked though it and noticed the the dyno chart for the race mod said that it was using a 41mm pwk. so after i noticed this i filped open the mag to the page with the carbs but,all that was offered was the 39mm pwk. THEN I saw the pictures and noticed that there was a 41mm carb in the picture,but this carb was a fcr41mm keihin. thats odd i thought that was a four stroke carb,as a matter of fact i have that carb on my predator 560.
can the fcr 41 mm be used on the hpd race kit 400??has anyone of you tried this? I hate my 39mm keihin pwk, it leaks,uses to much fuel and is very tempermental to weather changes (jet changing) the leak thing is the biggest problem, also i beleive it runs out of fuel on the top end. so would changing to a 41mm fcr work? if not why did hpd have a picture of one?

Old 08-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

I do not know if the fcr will work but I have had two pwk's. The first one was on my trail mod. The carb was from HPD and it leaked a lot! I could not get it to stop and it did seem to use a lot of fuel. I now have another pwk 39 on my race mod. It is slightly different as to where the vent tubes are routed. I think my old bottom tube was the one that leaked, on the bottom of the bowl. This new one has the tube, but it is plugged witha cap. I have no leakage. You should call Darryl at HPD to help you get the leak under control. My brother inlaw has the old carb now and he tried to adjust the carb fuel bowl setting to no avail. To my knowledge you can not use a four stroke carb on a two stroke engine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

i thought the samething about using a four stroke carb on a two stroke but i think it's the other way around . You can use a four stroke carb on a 2 stroke but not the other way.has something to do with fuel flow (adamise speeling)

Old 08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

I think HPD might can't even help on this one. what i mean is i called them a few months ago and told them of my problems with this peice of junk 39mm pwk carb(that I got from them and was never right)I ended up getting a new slide,floats,needle/seat and all new motor mounts and not one of these things helped. Darrell even told me what to look for (if it was a older or new style) it was/is the newer style.He also said that it is unlikely that it runs out of gas on top end but the egt(digatron )don't lie and i have messed with 2 strokes for years . It will be going fine at 3/4 throttle but as soon as i go all the way full open throttle it spits/pops ands the egt goes from 1200 to 1350 or more at the same time very fast.Must be runnig out of fuel.If I try a bigger main jet it will smoke like a mother and just fauls it out earlier.
I've had it with this carb,i've messed with it for a few years now and never f--ked with a carb that much. Not for nothing it's a old school carb . I'm intrested in the tmx 42 mm mikunin, and I know people say it's not going to flow as much,and it's lean in the middle,but if the sucker doesn't leak all my fuel and lets me get top end then it is worth the money. But before i go buying a new carb I want to check out all the alturnatives.
has anyone had this many problems with the 39mm pwk??I don't know what to think about it it has it's days when it's better but not enough and the amount of fuel i go though is uncommon.The whole tank is emty in less then a 3/4 of a hour.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Your drag racing it now rite? Go lectron![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

lectron,hu do you think it will work ok when I'm not drag racing.What i mean is some of the places we go to meet up with people to drag race, is out in the forest or i have to do some trail riding to get there . also i thought the lectron was a alcohol carb.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:33 PM
CED
Pro Rider

The Lectron's can be setup to run either way.Dennis Packard is the man for Lectrons.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hey CED. Do you know of anyone that's using one for a Race Mod (gas) and are they better performing than the 39?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I don't know of anyone running one ,but Packard said all i would have to do is flip the floats over and buy a new needle.Polarisfreak was fixing to do this same mod ,but he got rid of the race mod.I would be curious to see how much difference the Lectron would make if any.It is very hard to beat a good running 39 PWK.The Lectron is so easy to adjust it's funny.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Ok. Thanks. Yeah, I think the 39 is a really good carb too. Just wondering.

Quick Reply: 400 hpd race mod ---carbs???