Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's with my rear wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with my rear wheel bearings?

Anybody have loose rear wheels on their sportsman? I lifted up the rear of my 04 sp700 the other night, and the rear wheels feel like they are ready to fall off! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I could understand if one was loose, but both? Also, anyone know of an inexpesive fix for the rear inboard cv joint? I had a stick push the boot off, and I thought it was put back on quickly enough, but I guess not.... I will take it apart when I pull the bearings. What a pain!

Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

I hear alot of people talk about the loose rear wheels both mind had play to. I replaced one wheel bearing and tighten the other up now they fill tight.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Mine have quite a bit of slop (compaired to what a car would have).
No problems yet.

Jim

Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

had to replace mine at 3000 miles had about 1/2 inc of play at top of wheel moving back and forth new ones have almost no play now

Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

HEY mine have a lot of slop in them have not had any problems yet all my problems are in the front but anyways if you are looking for good cv joints go to j r grahams powersports they run about $74.95 for our bikes were everywhere else wants like 180 dollars

and you might have to call them cause they dont list the ones for the big polaris in there catalog
there number is1-800-243-8920

tyler

Old 08-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

funny you should ask,

I saw a hole in my rear axle boot so I started tearing it down on my 2002--500 sportsman. Well when I took the axle out of the hub the Huge sealed bearing completely fell apart. My bike only has 1400 miles on it. All of the ***** that were inside the sealed bearing fell out on the floor. Well I said to my self if this side is bad I sure bet the other side is, I tore it apart- same thing they were shot too.

I am going on a trip Thursday morning so I have been rushing all over trying to find 2 new rear hub bearings. I just took off work & drove an hour to the Polaris dealer so that they could install the new sealed hub bearings in my hubs then tonight I will go home & put it all back together.

FYI- 1) --2 new rear hub bearings
2) I had the dealer install them (press fit) into my hubs.
total cost was $ 172.00- OUCH

Old 08-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GITRDONE
funny you should ask,

I saw a hole in my rear axle boot so I started tearing it down on my 2002--500 sportsman. Well when I took the axle out of the hub the Huge sealed bearing completely fell apart. My bike only has 1400 miles on it. All of the ***** that were inside the sealed bearing fell out on the floor. Well I said to my self if this side is bad I sure bet the other side is, I tore it apart- same thing they were shot too.

I am going on a trip Thursday morning so I have been rushing all over trying to find 2 new rear hub bearings. I just took off work & drove an hour to the Polaris dealer so that they could install the new sealed hub bearings in my hubs then tonight I will go home & put it all back together.

I replaced one of mine for around $22.00 got it at Advance auto part. I took me about an hour to disassemble press the bearing out press the new one in and reinstall everything.

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: SPORTSMAN70003
Originally posted by: GITRDONE
funny you should ask,

I replaced one of mine for around $22.00 got it at Advance auto part. I took me about an hour to disassemble press the bearing out press the new one in and reinstall everything.

Do you know what the part # was for the one you bought at Advanced Auto?
My bearings were in pieces & I could not find a part # on them.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot the number so I call Advance auto part and had the look up the number I bought and its 51013 and I got it for $21.99 they did a price match with NAPA.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Mine were out too on my 04.5 500 HO!! They are supposed to be sealed but Polaris has weak bearings. If you ride thru mud or water, your bearings WILL not last.

Noble

Quick Reply: What's with my rear wheel bearings?