Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sticking Hubs On Scrambler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddies Scrambler is starting to act up. When you ride it, sometimes it will pull to the right, almost to the point where you can't straighten out the bars. I'm talking about the front wheels, obviously. I thought that I remembered someone else having this problem, and they switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the hubs, and it took care of the problem. 1) could this be my problem? 2) what weight, or gear oil from Mobil should I try?

All help is appreciated.

Old 10-24-2000, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Quadfather

Walexa recommends using the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF for the front hubs. Gear oil would be too think for the hubs. I would put the synthetic ATF in and run it for a while, then change it again. Hopefully this will cure the problem. The Polaris manual says that you can also use ATF Type F. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2000, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Quad

After rereading your question, I thought I would post again. A good way to check if the hub is stick or stuck, put the entire vehicle up on floor jacks. Start it up, engage the awd, and put it in gear. Both front tires should be turning. Take it out of gear, disengage the awd, and put it back in gear. The front wheels should not turn. If one does, it is definetly sticking.

Old 10-24-2000, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

i had a hub stickin on my 99sp and put the mobil 1 atf in mine and it quit.that should be your ticket,the hub oil probley needs to be changed anyway.

Old 10-24-2000, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

had similar problem with sportsman switch to synthetic atf mobile1....worked great for the sticking hubs but then my hubs started to leak with the mobile 1....i even tried to use silicon around the hub caps and they still would leak, nothing bad but if it sat still for a lonf enough time they would drain completely dry, just something to watch for in you switch to mobile1.

Old 10-24-2000, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

The Polaris locking hub is a very simple design. Occasionally it will stick regardless of what fluid you run, due to the design. If it is sticking every time you take it out of AWD, disassemble the hub and look for worn parts, and make sure the armature plate is not pinched. Also be care not to pinch the armature plate yourself upon reassembly. Sometimes I think that people view these hubs as on of the worlds greatest mysteries. Just take it apart and look at it. No big deal.

Greg

Old 10-24-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Mine do the same thing once in a while. A bit more on the Scrambler than the Xplorer. I just get used to it... back up and go again!

Old 10-24-2000, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

If I put mine on blocks, the front wheels will turn even when not in 4wd. The difference is they just kind of lazily turn, and you can hold it back with one finger, so don't be surprise if they turn a little. Just so they don't transmit any amount of power.

Old 10-25-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I just went to the local autoparts store. They had Mobil 1 in 5w-30, 15w40, and 10w-30. I asked him about the AT rating, and he said it meant auto-transmission fluid. Exactly what oil should I get, be specific please.

Old 10-25-2000, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Steve

Sorry I wasn't clear before. The ATF stands for automatic transmission fluid. Polaris recommends their oil or the automatic transmission fluid for the front hubs. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Sticking Hubs On Scrambler?