Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 EFI problems to watch out for....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 EFI problems to watch out for....

Well the problem with mine (and many others, as I received a warning mailer from Polaris the day after mind died) is that the cable is routed between the gas tank and the frame. After some riding, the rubber wears off the cable and shorts it out to ground. I confirmed this by finding continuity between the spark plug end of the coil wire and the frame.

This is the problem on the single cylinders, I'm not sure if the twins have the same problem.

Polaris does know about it, now that I remember, as I got a Recall notice in the mail one day late.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Range Rover

Ya, my buddy's had this issue. Its a different problem. I think Elkbow and I have discovered something "new"...

Old 10-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

No problem Tyler, its all good.

Elkbow, I think we just found something that happens to occur to the 05 700 EFI (others?) after the bike gets a number of hours on it. The coil comes loose... could be something they should tighten better at the factory/recall ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Coil operation is controlled by the ecu, the coil attachment point on the frame is not a working ground. If you have suspicions of coil arcing spray some water around the coils/wires with the engine running. It shouldn't affect it if all is ok. If the engine starts to miss and/or you see arcing obviously you have a problem. You need to check very closely the coil towers and plug wire boots/connections for carbon tracking which is a small narrow line etched into the material. The spark will follow this trail to the easiest ground point usually under engine load when the plug firing voltage is higher. If you see carbon tracking on either the coil or the wire you need to replace both otherwise the problem will repeat itself in time, also look for pinholes in the plug boot where spark will blow through to nearby metal. Relocating the coil might be a good option if it's possible, I'll have to look my 800 over and see although I haven't had any problem yet in 900 + miles

Old 10-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerslider
Coil operation is controlled by the ecu, the coil attachment point on the frame is not a working ground. If you have suspicions of coil arcing spray some water around the coils/wires with the engine running. It shouldn't affect it if all is ok. If the engine starts to miss and/or you see arcing obviously you have a problem. You need to check very closely the coil towers and plug wire boots/connections for carbon tracking which is a small narrow line etched into the material. The spark will follow this trail to the easiest ground point usually under engine load when the plug firing voltage is higher. If you see carbon tracking on either the coil or the wire you need to replace both otherwise the problem will repeat itself in time, also look for pinholes in the plug boot where spark will blow through to nearby metal. Relocating the coil might be a good option if it's possible, I'll have to look my 800 over and see although I haven't had any problem yet in 900 + miles
I just looked at the schematic, the coil bolt is definitely a ground. There are two control wires coming from the ECU and one ground control wire....but the coil definitely has a chassis ground according to the schematic.

Powerslider....I think you are right about the arcing....but I rarely see arcing unless its poor equipment or a grounding problem. I tried to get the wire to arc to the frame without the electrical tape that the dealer had put on and couldn't get it to arc, with it right against the frame. I looked at the schematic and it shows that the coil is grounded, just a simple line coming off the coil with a line perpendicular to it...which is what i see on other items that have chassis grounds in their schematics.....

I can't see any pinholes in my boot, I think it is coming right between the boot and the wire itself...when it is pressed up against the frame, it pushes the wire back, so it could come out of there. And you are also right, and something I kept telling the dealer, it happens at higher rpms of the motor and when it is hot....good call, its exactly what is happening.

I moved my coil some and tightened, I also took the slack out of the cable so it wouldn't 'hang' there.

Thanks for your info, good info and definitely related to this problem...i'm still trying to find what you mean by the carbon tracking...

dave

Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

I stand corrected on the coil ground, I looked at the schematic again. Magnafying glass brings it right out lol...

Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

I'm glad to have your input, between us all we might figure it out.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerslider
I stand corrected on the coil ground, I looked at the schematic again. Magnafying glass brings it right out lol...

lol....i had to put on my reading glasses....

see my reply above...we replied about the same time....thanks for the info....I do think that chassis ground is possibly part of the problem...

dave

Old 10-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Carbon tracking is the telltale sign of arcing, you'll find it on coil towers, plug boots, spark plug porcelain. The arcing will etch a trail/burn mark along the path it travels to ground instead of firing the spark plug. Older vehicle distributer caps would carbon track one tower to another and cause serious running/starting problems.

Quick Reply: 700 EFI problems to watch out for....