Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

dig this boneheaded blunder.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dig this boneheaded blunder.

go to clay city, ky. saturday to ride newly purchased race modded scrambler for first time with fresh tie rod ends and hot seat upper and lower steering stem bushings. pull it off the truck, pull the rope, blub blub blub blub blub. another time, blub blub blub blub blub. another time. after fifth attempt hummmm.
every thing is on whats the deal? open coldy think some more, try it again, rat tat tat tat tat, cool, lets ride. procede to rip thru wimpy mx corse. after fifth jump or so it seems to have run out of gas. try to pull dry rotted hose off of fuel filter. snap. well now i am screwed. talk to locals, dealer open till 4. its 2. go south like guy says. hummm. must be going wrong way. get right directions. i'm thinkin bad fuel valve cause tried both ways and it barely worked one way, and nothin the other. drive to multi brand dealer. uhh sir you can't run that fuel line direct to the carb it'll flood out if it's not hooked to the pump. what pump do you mean. it's a 2 stroke it doesn't have one. oh yes it does. whatever sell me the damn fuel filter. leave dealer. stop at auto zone for new fuel line. use there tools to change fuel line. when i pull the hose of of nipple on bottom of the fuel tank nothin comes out. well guess there's somethin in the tank. stop at liqior store, can't ride f@$% it, misewell get drunk. return to riding area. shake quad gas runs out of fuel line at the filter. pull nipple out of bottom of tank. it's clean. put it back in. nothin runs out. what the hell. unscrew gas cap. gas runs out. hummm. look at upper steering stem bushing. ahhh dip s@#$, you smashed the vent line inside the bushing. finally get down to biseness at 5:30. what a marooon huh? all yeah, do not take your bike to gateway cycles in mt sterling ky. when i got back from the dealer my buddy says, after you left the people on the other side of us said, he's not takin that bike to that hillbilly shop is he?

Old 10-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

lol "give me the dam fuel filter"

Old 10-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yep.......had that happen to me before after a new build.......makes ya wonder if you screwed something up, however it was only about 5 min and I figured it out.......lol. Good luck with the new quad though.......

Old 10-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

After doing this type of work for 20 years I still get into frustrating situations . I had a rough day today on a Suzuki LT250R - 1986 . The thing came in the door 3 months ago in a plastic carton that a man purchased from an E-bay auction . It is more of a jigsaw puzzle than an engine . I had the center cases assembled right the first time and the way the engine is made it allows the shifting fork rod to slide out of the cases and onto the bench , so after the last screw is tight it sure as hell did . I knew what happened when I heard it go *tink* . So back apart we come and back together again , finally succes ---- NOT ---- Suzukis brilliant oring design for o-ringing the cases in the middle let the o-ring fold inward . So -- back apart again .
I lost about 5 hours of time today fooling with this thing today but I do believe I have it all straightened out and will finish tomorrow . It will be a nice engine , it is just time consuming sorting it all out . It is a race ported , high compression , LT 250R , set up for drag racing .

"Half of being a great mechanic is knowing what not to work on"

Rick