Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bought the T-Boss Today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 09:42 PM
BK
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I did it. I applied for a Polaris Star card and for $53 a month I brought home a new Trail Boss 325. I rode for a couple hours this evening and I love it! I was able to ride fast on rough places that I would usually poke around on due to the excellent suspension on this atv. My only complaint is the front springs fell a little stiff. Does anyone make a replacement spring for the front struts?
Power wise it felt pretty good especially considering it is supposed to speed up as it breaks in. I'm looking forward to this weekend when I can get out in some hills and rougher terrain. Thanks to everyone who helped supply info and personal experience when I asked. It really helped.

Old 10-26-2000, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I heard that they came with a kit to improve the oil line integrity. Make sure yours did. If not, ask the dealer about it.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Don't change the suspension yet. If it feels stiff now, that is good. Things will loosen up after a while. When I got my Xplorer I wondered why it had so much suspension when only half was used, but after a few months, it really mellowed out, and now after almost 2 years, it almost feels soft if I have anything on the front rack. The rear is still a little firm, but I have the spring preload cranked up some for carrying a rack mount sprayer - weighs about 135# full. I am just too lazy to loosen it back down when I take it off.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

it will loosen up in a couple hundred miles of riding. Good choice not to be nosey you said 53 a month is that going to change or is that payment for the life of the ATV loan?

Old 10-27-2000, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

BK

Congratulations!!. You will enjoy the trail boss. First thing, check the oil lines coming from the oil filter. They should be a hydralic hose type fitting. If you have just clamp on oil lines, you need to contact your dealer and tell him you want the oil lines installed that are specified in Service Bulletin ATV 00 03. Don't take no for an answer on this one. You definetly want the new style oil lines. Second, order a Uni-filter for it. The Uni-filter will breath a little better than the stock paper filter will. When the stock filter gets a little dirty, the machine will start to run like crap. Not very good when your out for a weekend of riding. Third, the machine will idle and run a little better once it is broken in. You will probably need to adjust the idle down after 20 hours or so. Keep your chain adjusted and oiled and you should be in business. Enjoy your ride.

Old 10-27-2000, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

Well, if you like it now, you'll love it in a few weeks, It will reach a speed of around 52MPH by the time it is fully broke in. Which is Blazing fast for a 300. (the 300EX was clocked at the same speed stock) The only place you'll miss compared to Sport Bikes like the EX or the Lakota is Acceleration. If you want more acceleration, try a White or Green Clutch Spring. But it performs great stock. One other thing. If you do decide to go with the Green Spring, Remember it can get you in a bad way up steep hills, The performance gain is SO huge with the green spring, and the engagement RPMs are up so high that it May very well roll on steep hills by hiking the front end up too high. So, You'll love your new bike, but if you want more acceleration, go with the WHITE SPRING like i did, you'll love it.

Old 10-27-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

A word of advice, pay off the star card before the first two years. Check the interest rate closely, as it skyrockets then. I'm paying $102 bucks a month for a four year loan on a 00 Tblazer, which doesn't sound better than 50-something, but is worth it in the end. Enjoy your new wheeler!!!!!

Old 10-27-2000, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

I strongly agree with what MagnumMudMan said. My Trail Boss ran horrible for the first few hours. Even after being back to the dealer for a tune-up, it sputtered and was hard-starting. Turns out that all 325 Polaris engines have the same bad habit. I'm looking at a jet kit from K&N for mine. If I don't get that, I'm definately gonna get a better filter. Just a little dirt makes a difference. Good luck with your new toy!!!

Old 10-28-2000, 08:05 AM
BK
Pro Rider

The $53 and the 6.9% interest both go up after a year. I am getting some extra money coming in before then and plan on paying it off then or switching it to another card with less interest. It made it nice to get the low payment and no money down right now because we have a month old baby and not a lot of spare cash! So now I am riding instead of thinking about it.

Old 10-28-2000, 08:24 AM
BK
Pro Rider

Do the oil lines have hydraulic fittings at both ends or just the engine end? I know mine has the spring clamps at the oil cooler. Did you re -jet for the Uni or not? Where do you get it? How much was it? I thought about going with the K&N power kit later on, but I don't have much extra cash around right now. How long have you had your T-Boss? I have heard a lot of people talking about this machine as a great entry level machine but few admitting to it as their primary machine. I have been riding on and off since '86 (dirt bikes earlier) but generally have had a low budget for what I ride (200SX, 250X, Recon, 220 Bayou, etc.). To me the suspension and overall comfort of the T-Boss make it seem like a step up even though the MSRP was the same as the Recon.

Quick Reply: Bought the T-Boss Today!