Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New predator Problem discredits my previous post...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New predator Problem discredits my previous post...

wouldnt have blown up because of no back pressure removing the quiet core. but running 2weeks lean will for sure. i know its been talked about alot on here an many other forums when you change any thing like exhaust , air cleaner you have to rejet. so i think your lucky they are covering this for ya because i think its partialy your fault.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

two things:

1) dealer says from initial observations they don't think that's what happened
2) dealer did not include the core upon replacement of my exhaust system, AND told me to take it out. when i asked about jetting they said it shouldn't be that much different then with it in. either way, not my fault. besides, in that two weeks i rode it.... maybe 3 hours? maybe....

Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

did you have a aftermarket air filter also? if so with the quite core out you would need to rejet to run optimally but I cant say for sure it would run lean enough to blow the engine. I tried it with mine with a drop in K&n and no quite core and it ran like crap. I know I would have to rejet mine for it. It ran good at top end but no low end and it wouldnt start without choking it and if it was cold outside forget it. All signs that its running lean for me. I use the K&N drop in and 12 disks and it runs great now without rejetting. Though in the cold it starts hard without the choke. im sure for winter riding i would need to go up one size in the main.

Anyways I hope they get this fixed for you. I really feel for you. I think I would cry if that happened to my pred. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

no aftermarket filter, still same number of discs.... oh well in 3 hours i'm calling the dealer to see if they've figured it out (that should be more than enough time b/c they started on it an hour ago...) here's hoping it's something minor. Also, i dunno if i put this in, but my pred seriously lost its midrange hit entirely after the tranny rebuild... so i'm asuming something went wrong during re-assembly, but we'll see in a few hours.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Scrambler XLE..welcome to my world of dealing with the Predator...I like you have less than 50 hrs of use on my TLD and have had a host of problems.

Hoopie..might want to check the valves for the hard starting...thats just exactley where mine started..hard starts...

I'm still waiting to hear from Polaris if my valve job is going to covered by warranty or not.

Does the Minnesota base company ship all the defective Preds to Michigan?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spyder6
sounds like you blew up your engine head from not having enough back pressure. i donno, but thats my guess.
Spidie...a 4 stroke engine needs very little back pressure to operate...it may not operate effecintly..however with stiffer valve springs and the right tolerances in the valve train you can run an open header.

running a stock bore pred motor with just bolt ons and incorrect jetting will (better) not put enough strain on the stock valve springs.

Thats my concern when the dealer gets me my Pred back..the valve seat has been honed and one valve replaced..but how long before the next one?...

Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine is an 03, and not one problem yet........and I beat this sucker. I have had no problems, nor have I had to adjust the valves or anything for that matter(other than jetting).......she runs good and hard.....

I feel sorry for you guys......you are missing out.......

I don't really know the specifics of your situations, but one thing i do know........is that I do all my own work.......unless it gets real in depth......

Old 10-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

No rejet, yea right. I seen machines burn up in 5 mins with the wrong jetting. The stock main jet was a 150, for 5000 feet. One jet does not fit all.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Your no compression could be your valves out of wack, but you could have done some piston damage to. A PP pipe with the quiet core is just on the lean side, but very little. A stock pipe, the Pred runs a little rich. But taking the core out will make you lean no doubt about it. And if you ran it for 3 hrs in a lean state you most likely have piston or ring damage from the heat. Thus hard starting, and low compression. So it doesn't sound like a lemon, but a dealer that isn't to smart.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree maddog.........jetting is crucial to an engine's performance/life.........I always check my jetting, just to make sure I'm not too lean. Pretty much any modification you make to the intake or exhaust will require jetting adjustment, even though it may be a small amount.

Also, something to keep in mind......if your bike happened to be a little lean from the factory(all motors are different).....and then you leaned it up even more by a pipe and removing the core......you would be really lean.......not to mention if the temperature happend to change, or your altitude(which could have cause your factory jetting to be incorrect).....

I'm not sure I'd replace it if I was Polaris.......but hey....what do I know.......

Quick Reply: New predator Problem discredits my previous post...