Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sportsman 500 Motor boggs bad when i give it gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman 500 Motor boggs bad when i give it gas"></title><script src=

about the no power problem,i didn,t here anyone mention checking or cleaning the fuel filter????

Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default polaris sportsman 500 Motor boggs bad when i give it gas"></title><script src=

[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

i had a very similar problem with my 03 500 sportsman. It would bog out above idle and had a verry bad stumble in it. Bike was running very rich. The retaining clip on the needle (the plastic upper one) was worn slightly and could slip up inside the spring. This would suspend the needle causing it to runn very rich. It happened in August. Polaris dealer readgusted the clip and it ran great. Last weekend while snowplowing with it it happened again. I have ordered new spring, clips, and needle. Should put the issue to bed for a while. You might wan,t to check yours out. It is an inexpensive fix. Before it went to the polaris shop i changed plug. plug boot.air filter checked cams for wear. changed gas , checked the throttle safety switch etc, etc ,etc, etc. I probably could have just changed the clips but the needle,spring and all three clips were under $50 at the Polaris dealer. Don't know if this helps or not but it is something you can easily check yourself, without having to go to the dealer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default polaris sportsman 500 Motor boggs bad when i give it gas

im having the same prob wont rev and no power, mine is leakingh fuel out of a tube coming from bottom of bowl,im assuming this meens its getting to much fuel and i have to also adjust the fuel screw.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

check the spring and plastic clip

Old 02-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rungunner

Sgajan,

Since yours is also backfiring it sounds like we have identical problems here. Don't worry too much as we will solve this problem, sometimes it just takes time. If you pull the air box off and run the machine you can look in the back of the carb to see if your diaphram is pulling the slide up as you give it gas. Check that out. move the jet needle clip all the way to the top and see if your problem gets any better like mine did. As far as the fuel screw it is on the very bottom of the carb, You can loosen up the carb and turn it in the carb boot and you will see it on the bottom. take this and gently turn it all the way in and come out 2 full turns and run the machine and come out another 1/2 turn and see if there is a difference. I am not sure of the correct setting for Polaris because I have yet to recieve my manual. Another theory is that the exaust lobe is worn so much that it is popping because the exaust valves are not opening correctly and there fore it is popping out the carb instead of the other side. How many miles on yours?</end quote></div>

Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

hey rungunner, i have the same problem as this guy. you mentioned see if throttle cable is moving needle, its not moving mine at all. needle just sits there when i mash down accelerator. what could this mean? thanx

Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

i have the same problem 2002 sportsman 500, at first it would not start, i replaced stator, pulser & coil no its hard to start it but once running it idles fine till i mash on the throttle and it bogs bad and back fires and it also back fires starting it also. i don't know im getting pretty aggravated with it, i may just say the heck with it and part it out,im just sick of working on it just to be disappointed over and over.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys i have an 02 sports 500 ho and im having the same problem, if i put into high the bike will move but oce u start rolling and give more gas it boggs, same for low, and reverse is dif it will move faster till i get into the throttle. if i put it into high and awd on the bike will not move.... this all started when it flipped out of the truck and broke the head light pod and speedo also cut the black, brown, brown/white off the awd plug.. i have re connected wires but dont want to spend the money on a new speedo, im thinking their might be a safety switch keeping the bike from going full speed, something that reads movement threw the speedo. my yamaha has a setup like that, my speed cable unhooked and the bike went into a limp mode.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

update i pulled the lid off the air box are almost 100% fixed. i noticed on top end she kinda surges, so im thinking fuel mixure. am i going to have to ride with out the lid or will the fuel mix screw fix this?

Quick Reply: polaris sportsman 500 Motor boggs bad when i give it gas