Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clicking sound near rear chain!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000 | 09:19 PM
|
Pro Rider

The past two rides this has happened on my Scrambler. At first I thought it was the sprocket or something inside the clutch housing... again, but no. Chain seems O.K. I did notice the chain deflector was loose so I tightened the bolt and it was worse. It seems to click on hard acceleration only. I havn't a clue?!

Could it be the chain rubbing the plastic guard? Could it be in the motor near the sproket?

It's a weird sound that I have never heard before.

Any help would be geratly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2000 | 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with my Trail Blazer.It stopped when I broke my chain and got a new one.The first chain that was on my blazer when I got it was real loose, and would rub on the swing arm, in fact it dug two ruts in it not deep but noticable.Now I got the new chain and I havent heard a pop out of.

Old 10-29-2000 | 10:20 PM
Range Rover

If I could hide my name I would

before posting this...

I had the same concern. Strange clicking back near the chain. After two rides, and several visual inspections, I dropped it off at the dealer.

He tightened the chain, smirked, and my clicking sound was gone. It didn't look too loose to me, but...I was wrong. I am not kidding here.

Old 10-29-2000 | 10:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

What a coincidence...Since I have been doing some rough trails and jumps my chain has gotten looser and looser each time. I can not even grease the rear axle bearings anymore since I had to tighten the chain 8 times and about 1 1/2" rotation. My chain has also dug into the plastic on the top of the swingarm and into the plastic chainguard underneith. I will call the dealer tomorrow.

Did your sound resemble a "rub" about every second? Click...click...click and so foarth...

Damn noise!

Old 10-29-2000 | 10:23 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Maybe take the chain off and check each link by hand to see if any are frozen or binding. If not put it back on with out the gaurd and check for the noise. Maybe test it without the gaurd first since that is easier to do. GJ

Old 10-29-2000 | 10:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks Rich...But my chain has been much looser than it is now and it never did this before. Everyone says deflection at 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Is that 3/8 up and 3/8 down? That would make total chain up and down "movement" at 3/4 to 1 inch total...

Quick question(s): Can a loose chain break the sprocket? My front sprocket got eaten two weeks ago after doing some heavy whoops, wheelies and small jumps. Plus, is a chain supposed to stretch a lot? Mine seemed to have stretched a whole lot over the last three weeks...

Thanks

Old 10-29-2000 | 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Xplor

My wife trail boss had developed a clicking sound coming from the chain on one of our rides. When I got it home, I cleaned the chain up and put it up on a jack and rotated the tire real slow until I could isolate the click. It turned out that the master link had become damaged (probably by a rock) and was binding upon going around the sprocket. I replaced it and hasn't clicked yet. Put it up on jacks and put a light on the chain and see if you can isolate the problem. Good luck finding the problem.

Old 10-29-2000 | 10:33 PM
|
Pro Rider

I am going to go check the chain and master link tonight...I did remove the chain last week. Maybe I forgot something or damaged the master link.

Thanks for all the input guys. I thought that by saying a "clicking" problem that nobody would respond... There are answers to all problems!

Old 10-29-2000 | 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I had a clicking noise from my TB325 for a while, the chain kept getting loose also. I finally noticed that the Master link and a few other links were binding and falling apart. The dealer replaced it under warranty.

Old 10-30-2000 | 07:11 AM
Pro Rider

Similiar thing happened to my 96 Xplorer 400. I found it was the bushing in the swingarm. All they needed were a little tightening. A bit of a pain to work on, but you can do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound near rear chain!