Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

problem starting predator

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem starting predator

ok. heres the deal. i have an 03 predaotr and the tranny tore up in it so i had a buddy who is good with them rebuild the tranny. he put it back together and for some reason the timing marks on the exhaust cam are off 180 degrees. we matched the loabs up with tthe book and it fired right up and sounded good but the decompression valve was clicking open. we took it back apart and cleaned it out and tried to fix it. it got alittle better as far as the opener on the cam moving so we put it back together but now it is back firing and wont start. any suggestions? if we cant get it figured out i think its going to visit wholeshot. thanks

Old 11-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are you sure you got it timed correctly(if so.....please tell me how you did it)??? Next.....I think there have been some problems with the decompression valve being stuck(or spinning)....not for sure.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Are you sure you got it timed correctly(if so.....please tell me how you did it)??? Next.....I think there have been some problems with the decompression valve being stuck(or spinning)....not for sure.
I think Polaris needs to offer you a job [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

to time it we put the motor on tdc. by looking through the hole in the left hand side cover. we then line the bottom mark on the timing chain up on the crank with the clutch and two gears removed so we could see it was right. then we lined up the marks on the cams with the gold links in the chain and the instaled them and then we adjusted the chain tensioner. the first time we did this we realised that the cam gear on the exhaust cam was off by 180 degrees. the lobes on the exhaust and intake where hitting at the same time so we new it was out. we have the cams all in riht and it still wont start. any more suggestions?

Old 11-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

spark plug wire/cap its always something simple.. start basic before tearing it up

Old 11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

we chacked electrical and couldnt see anything. the odd part was the backfiring.still have no clue. shoulda got a 450r!lol

Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I still don't think you have it in time.......but that is just me. I can't(without my paperwork here).....remember exactly how to time the pred, so you don't have to use the gold links. I think you just put the chain back on......and then you put the marks on the cams(one at zero degrees, or level with the head).....and the other at about 7 degrees upward. This should be about 17 links from point to point on the cams. I can't remember how to do it for sure, but can tell you when the weekend comes.

If you need an answer on the timing(if you are in question about it).....then go to www.predatorowners.com and pm "thepredator"......he'll know.

Only other thing I can even think of.......is not getting enough fuel(is the fuel "on"?)......not getting good spark......

Oh......and by the way.....I assume you did this too, but just checking......when you say you put the motor on TDC by the flywheel mark......this was on the correct stroke, right???

Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya we had it on the right timing mark. thanks for all your guys help. i really appretiate it. its getting annoying! oh well thats the way it goes. has anyone ever heard of cam gears slipping? the gear are pressed on so they shouldnt but that doesnt mean they cant. any thoughts?

Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes......I've heard of the gears slipping.......You really need to look at them, and make sure everything makes sense.......to make sure if they have slipped or not.

You still didn't tell me what stroke you had the motor on, when you checked the flywheel mark..........

Old 11-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

i am pretty sure we had it on the intake stoke. but it will get checked this week to make sure. it was like 4 in the morning when we were still messing with it so theres always that chance we had it wrong.

Quick Reply: problem starting predator