Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 Efi error 54

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Efi error 54

So Im getting ready for my hunting trip, so just for the heck of it I check for error codes. I get an error 54, according to the owners manual it is related to the engine temp lamp. But there is 3 possibilties: open load, short circuit to ground, and short to battery. Is there any way I can tell what the specific problem is? What exactly is the engine temp lamp? My check engine light isnt lit up so is it still ok to take my trip?, Any solutions?

Thanks, Bill

Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 Efi error 54

Does anyone have the service manual that might offer some more info?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:15 PM
EAB
Pro Rider
Default 700 Efi error 54

code 54

Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Efi error 54

I've got the service manual, but the problem is that it will not tell you more than you already know....when the display shows an error code when you turn the key off/on 3 times, you need the Polaris Diagnostic SW to read what is going on in the machine...

the 'short to ground', 'open load' and 'short to battery' are general terms....

I recently had an error 51, which is 'fuel injector 1 short to ground, open load or shot to battery'....the problem was the bolt in the center of the coil which is a working chassis ground....with the loose bolt, it caused the coil to arc to the frame through the coil plug wire cap....it would make the machine run like crap....

if you have a error 54, it could be anything....It may be a short somewhere in the system, that shorts at times and could be open load at times, but since you don't get 'check engine' light on the display, I would say it is intermittent....meaning that you have probably rubbed through a wire somwhere....

a couple of questions....are you overheating? do you get any indications of 'check engine' or overheating? It could be something as simple as worn wire, could be a bad sensor or many other possibilities....its one of the problems with the EFI models, you need the diagnostic sw and cable to point you in the right direction, the service manual won't tell you this....I can look at the electrical schematic for you and tell you if there is anything else that I can see...

dave

Old 11-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 Efi error 54

Thanks for the responses guys.
Dave, is there a listing in the index for a engine temp lamp in the manual? If I knew what this is, I could start traceing wires.
Thanks again, Bill

Old 11-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 Efi error 54

One more thing, I had the pod taken apart this morning to make a hole for a new switch, so I unpluged the wires connected to it. Could you tell me what the small plug if for, I think its like 3 or 4 prongs, (it plugs in behind the gauge) not the work light, or the really large plug but the other one. I was having a hard time pluging that back in, so maybe I messed something up.

BTW, I have had no signs of overheating lately, tomorrow, I'll let it run for a while to make sure the fan still kicks on.

Thanks again for all the help, Bill

Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 700 Efi error 54

The temp lamp wire runs between the ECU and the gauge. Did you ever have the key on while you had it unplugged? That would set the code.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default 700 Efi error 54

Originally posted by: mesll
The temp lamp wire runs between the ECU and the gauge. Did you ever have the key on while you had it unplugged? That would set the code.
Thank you very much, that was it! Now, Do I have to clear the code some how?, or will it just go away?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default 700 Efi error 54

Bill,
There are two ways to reset the code...the best solution is to disconnect the red (positive) battery cable, leave it disconnected for about 10 seconds and then reconnect it.

Let us know what you find out....if that doesn't reset it, which it will reset the ECU, then disconnect the ECU harness....but do that with the positive battery cable unplugged. You should only need to disconnect the positive cable.

If this doesn't reset your code, let us know and I'll look through the electrical schematic..

dave

Old 11-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default 700 Efi error 54

Thanks Dave

Quick Reply: 700 Efi error 54