Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

heated grips or handle bar gloves

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated grips or handle bar gloves

i had heated grips on my atp i liked them but they caused some problems with my battery. i'm thinking about getting the handle bar gloves because it's less hassle.which would you say performs better.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Ive used both, and if its really cold i use both at the same time,but once its above 20F, i just use the heated grips.
If you have to choose...id go for the heated grips. The mitts dont give off any energy, they just insulate. If you ever get your hands and gloves wet, and its cold out, the heated grips will still warm your hands, but the mitts wont.
The mitts can be a hassle, because the first hand goes in easily, but the second hand can be difficult to do one handed, especially if that hand is cold and or wet.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blamedrew01
i had heated grips on my atp i liked them but they caused some problems with my battery.
I would suggest that you had a weak battery to start with, and it's shortcomings just happened to appear when the grips were used. (Assuming that the grigs were not using excessive amps, and that your charging system was working properly.)

For plowing, gloves would be a real pian with blade raising/lowering, and shifting.

I have both hand and thumb warmers, each having it's own individual switch (sometimes having the thumbwarmer on "Hi" is too hot). I have a picture of them posted on "my page".

Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Pro Rider

I’ll have to agree with Vinnie. If your warmers are wired up right (and to a switched power wire) and your battery / charging system are up to snuff the warmers shouldn’t cause you any problems. The mitts do what they’re supposed to do but can be inconvenient if you need your hands for anything besides hanging on to the handlebars.

Where we ride it’s considered courteous to warn oncoming riders of how many riders are in your group behind you by a show of fingers. The mitts make this very difficult. I also like to control the volume on my headphones occasionally. The mitts just make doing anything but hanging on awkward.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks, my atp had a small battery i replaced it but it i never had to turn them on again. then my friend crashed it and bent my bars. then a whloe lot of other problems stated to happen. so i sold it

Old 12-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

I installed the Moose heated grips on my 800. I rode this weekend and had them on, working well most of the time. When at an idle the battery like would blink. I have the grond to the handelbars under the pod, and the power to the red/white in the ignition. Moose has a low,off, and high setting. Anybody know how to check for an amp reading with a meter? Let me know any suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: edoyle
I installed the Moose heated grips on my 800. I rode this weekend and had them on, working well most of the time. When at an idle the battery like would blink. I have the grond to the handelbars under the pod, and the power to the red/white in the ignition. Moose has a low,off, and high setting. Anybody know how to check for an amp reading with a meter? Let me know any suggestions. Thanks
Your atv must be different from mine, as my handlebars are NOT grounded.

Unless you have an inductive amp meter (expensive), you need to set the meter to the amps setting, disconnect either the positive or ground wire, and attach the meters 2 wires "inline".

Does that explain it well enough?

Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

some meters have a clamp or clamp attachment for measuring amps. its easier and safer. you just set the meter to the A setting and clamp around the wire.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

My Hunters Edition SP came with literature that warned against using warmers at low/idle RPM's, but it only said the were not as effective. If this helps any. Hey, by the way, I need to free up some room on my pod. Does anyone know if the factory hand warmer switch is big enough to also power the thumb warmer? Basically tie the two together!

Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blamedrew01
some meters have a clamp or clamp attachment for measuring amps. its easier and safer. you just set the meter to the A setting and clamp around the wire.
Yep, it's called an inductive clamp.

Quick Reply: heated grips or handle bar gloves