Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cornstock? And you guys were making fun of where i lived

Old 11-02-2000, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

It doesn't matter what HP gains a performance shop says there work makes. It's all useless unless you can efficiently transfer it to the rear end, meaning clutch work!

Take a pipe, reeds, porting, and a carb that might give you 55HP at the crank, you'd be luckiy to get 35 of that to the crank with the factory clutch settings! A good port job with clutching to match would give 8-10HP on top.

To answer Farmers question a set up like I described above (which is what I'm basically running) will make around 75HP @7000-7500RPM's, (Phildog is probably running at around 6000RPM's) remember though as stated in another post this number it at the crank. I'd love to dyno mine but cant find a shop who will do it. Something about the auto tranny?

Old 11-02-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

There are all types of porting that will give you different results. The smallest porting w/ give you massive gains. Go to HPD-inc.com and look at the dyno charts. Do some studying from the products they have listed on their site.

EC

Old 11-02-2000, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, but how much do you have done to your bike to get it making that kind of hp? And where did you get it? Thank you.

Phillip

Old 11-02-2000, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

A400L, I am thinking of a similar set-up. I would like your opinion. I have the HPD trail pipe, V-force reed valves, airbox mod and uni-filter, HPD agressive clutch kit and an Aaen roller clutch kit.

I was thinking of adding HPD trail porting with the billet head 12:1 and the 39mm carb. I am not looking for an all-out drag machine but an amazingly fast trail quad that will whip my freinds Shee...or at least equal it. I still need the quad to be controlable for rough technical rides but with a ton of "controllable" performance and reliability.

What do you think?

Plus, how much performance is added with the 20" tires and extended swing-arm? Is it worth it for trail riding? Top end must suffer a bit I would think...

Thanks a lot!

Old 11-03-2000, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget the wheelie bars

Old 11-04-2000, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Just for posterity here is what I've done to my '99 400...

Porting by RCR. Had Rick do his standard job first, but eventually other mods dictated different porting. Right now I'd say it's mid way between HPD's trail & race, running of 110 octane.

83mm (standard) Wiseco

HPD billet head with 14.5:1 dome and girdle kit (I have the 15.5:1 dome, but prefer top end).

HPD trail pipe, only because NOBODY has a pipe for '99+ that will rev high enough for me. I used to use RCR's hi-rev, but like the looks of the nickle finnish on the HPD, but kept Ritter's silencer.

V-force reeds

39PWK with a K&N filtercharger, no air box. Had the 38TMX at first, but think the Kehin is easier to tune. I have a CT 39PWK to run alky, but am not ready to make the switch yet.

Threw away the earl injector a long time ago (and my fan assembly) and run Maxima 927 @40:1

Clutching set up is a HPD red/yellow primary with 54gm HPD weights. Engagement is around 3500RPM's. In the secondary I have an AAEN roller, with a HPD lavender spring set in 2/2, with a 42/38 helix, although I'm going to try a 44/40. I run a Goodyear belt. I fabbed my own intake and exhaust vents for the CVT as well.

Hot Seat +3" swingarm, powder coated red, 14/34 gearring, and a DID chain.

I removed every peice of the OEM braking system (except for the calipers) and went to a local Harley shop and replaced everything with braided/stainless steel parts and use the Magura master cylinders from HPD. About $400 here alone!

I run Holeshot XC's on Douglas .190's and have a set of 8P Haulers to play with in the sand. I would've got the XCT's, but they were'nt released untill after I bought my XC's.

AAEN steering damper, Renthals, DG bumper, A-Arm guards, tachometer/EGT, and a few other small things I can't remember right now, considering I have rode it in a few months.

Philldog: you cannot go wrong with Ritter or Darrell at HPD. I would suggest Ritter more for reliability, and HPD more for speed, not that they are any less reliable, but their type of mods dictate more maintenance on your part.

Xplorer; you're on the right track. The HPD set up will amaze you on the trail. Their billet heads are top notch, but unless you are going to be running really high compression (190+) have Ritter do your factory head and save some $$$$. Sounds like you do mostly trail riding so keep your air box, and use a foam filter for those wet days. Go with the HPD trail port and get the 39PWK at the same time. They will jet it for you, although you may have to make a slight adjustment. Keep their trail pipe, it the best thing out right now for a '99+ 400. And go with the XCT's fort he trails, the 20" are better for quicker acceleration, but I would opt for the 22" XCT's inthe woods. As for the swingarm I think you would be better off spending that money on front suspension components.

Rick is a great guy and I'm fortunate enough to only live 30min away from him. I go to him for ALL my motor work! Whenever I ride, after everybody stops asking me what I've done to my ATV and saying "that's a Polaris?" The comment I hear the most is how good it sounds... Ritter's silencer!

Old 11-08-2000, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

hey A400L have you dragged your 400 yet? if so what did it run.

Old 11-08-2000, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

I did a few dirt drags last year. Didn't keep track of times, but best finnish was 3rd out of approx. 30 quads (Shee's and other 400's).

A friend of mine races here locally at a sand drag strip, Bonne Terre MO. Based upon his runs and our mods, I'd bet I could do 300' sand in under 6 secs, which isn't bad. With a full HPD race set up on alcohol he's running 5.4's.

Right now I'm set up more for top end with my clutching and gearring. I can beat a DS and most Banshee's in top end runs. I haven't raced a Raptor yet, but don't expect that in stock form anything to be different from my races against DS'. Of the Banshees that do beat me, most have stroker kits and/or are using methanol.

Best thing is, with my current port job, being on the OEM size and a few other small things I've still got plenty of room for improvement. Hell I'm using HPD's trail pipe (which peaks around 6800-6900 for me) because there isn't anything out to allow me to peak where I should be, 7000-7200. The race pipe they have listed in their catalog DOES NOT exist yet.

Old 11-10-2000, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Jerry!

By the way, will I notice a huge difference after the porting and head machining over what I run now?

Thanks again...

Quick Reply: Drag Race