Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

play in steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

I just brought my 2000 SP335 in for warranty service for non-working speedometer and 1" of play in steering. The problem with the speedo was the wheel sensor. The dealer told me that the play in the steering was "normal". I don't remember it being that way when new. Is the dealer correct?
Thanks!

Old 11-03-2000, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had a 98 SP500 (which has since been replaced with an 01) and I also had quite a bit of play in the steering which wasn't always there. I was told that the front bushings were starting to weaken and should be replaced soon. Also, the service guy said the front struts were showing wear too and that I should consider replacing those soon as well.

Also (I don't know if this applies to your year and model) my new SP500HO has brass washers on the front suspension that are designed to crumple if you hit something very hard. This would cause play in the steering until they were replaced.

Old 11-03-2000, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

It is normal in the sense that all pre 01 models will get play in the steering sooner than most other machines. Sometimes, if it isn't too bad, you can take some of the play out of the steering by tightening the castle nut on the bottom of the steering stem. Look from behind one of the front wheels to just below where the steering tie rods connect to the steering stem. You will see it there. Just don't tighten it so much your steering feels draggy. If it is wore to the point that this doesn't help, the best fix is a new center bushing, preferrably the heavy duty metal one which should last forever if you grease it.

Old 11-03-2000, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Check your lower steering post bearing they are prone to wear quickly. The one on my wife`s Trailblazer is worn pretty bad after 5 months. If this is the problem replace it with an after market one they are aluminum vs the cheap plastic one from Polaris.HTH

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Old 11-03-2000, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

mine loosened after a couple hundred miles but has never gotten any worse actually it is about what you have don't worry about it is normal. and really is only something that you need to change if it bothers you. it doesn't bother me.

Old 11-03-2000, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

The steering post bushing and the tie-rod ends are pure, unadultered junk on Polaris machines. I have been through four, yes, four pairs of tie-rod ends, and one set of inners. When my first set went bad, the dealer said it was normal wear and tear, and was not covered under warranty. I told him the quad came with a bumper to bumper, six month warranty, and that the tie-rod ends were in between the bumpers. I assured him he would fix them, and if they went bad again in that six month time, he would fix them again, and again.

The steering post bushing was someones idea of a bad joke at Polaris. How is 1/4 inch thick plastic supposed to hold up to the stress it recieves from the steering stem? Mine lasted maybe a month, and the four brand new Polaris's I've seen join our riding group since I got mine lasted the same. The HPD brass unit is the only way to go. I would insist to your dealer that you will pay the $35 for the brass bushing, and they supply the labor. We pay a lot of money for these machines, if a company wants to put inferior parts on them, it is up to them to replace them under the warranty.