Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Scrambler 4x4 problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Scrambler 4x4 problem?

Hi, I have a 2000 Scrambler 500 4x4. Most of the time when I put it into 2 wd and drive it onto the snow or ice and punch it hard to spin the rear tires I can feel one of the front hubs grabbing for an instant and letting go. Why does it do this? It did this both on a 15 degree day as well as a 38 degree day (above freezing). Will it damage something when it's doing this? It's not consistant when it does it. It's never had trouble engaging 4x4 mode. Is this a disengaging 4x4 mode problem? Or is something else up? I have changed the hub oil out last summer (about 30 hrs. ago) using the green colored Polaris hub oil and they drip out slightly at the 4:00 position...I did have a hub plastic cover leak last summer and that hub dried out and was ridden about 3 hr.s that way before I noticed. Do you think something is worn? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

On my 2002 sportsman 700 engages too while in 2 wheel, it doesn't seem to matter if it's in low range or high. I'm kinda wondering if ther is an electric issue with it. I had it on my snowmobile lift with all the wheels off the ground and the drive shaft going to the front was turning before the front wheels even engaged.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

Anyone else have any input?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Well to me 4 oclock seems kinda low on fluid I have always done mine to the 3 oclock pos.
I have never had a problem with my hubs ever. Try changing the fluid again I also use synthetic tranny fluid in mine I know people will say it is wrong but mine has been using this for 6 years without a problem.

And yes this can hurt stuff if it engages all of a sudden and releases worst of it could damage you buy flying down the trail have one of the hubs engage and pull hard to that side and drive you into the woods.

Hope you get it fixed good luck

Old 01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

no.no.no.no.and no. its all electrical. here's whats happening. there is not enough power to run with lights and 4wd and anything else ya got on plus the spark. dirty stators. no charhe to bat from alternator while running. i still keep my bat on my 2000 scram 400 4x4 just for 4wd. need power to run i have a starter block off from HSP and pull start it every time ( still starts first pull even in zero weather w/ 1/2 choke) Anyways the hubs are electrical. takes current to engage em' i couldn't get my flywheel of even after borrowing a flywheel puller from the dealer, ( my impact wrench aint got the power. ) so i took purple power degreaser and sprayed behind the flywheel and through the holes in it to clean the gook off the stators ( i run through some nasty muddy crap only cause nothing can stop this 4x4 sport and i have to show off somehow when riding with raptors and z400's whgo wont touch the stuff ).
Also check your bat charge. Im sure this is you're problem though. Id put money on it. Buy a new bat but don't waste money on some cheap immitation Advance Auto Bat Get the stock polaris one. Youll see on cold days that thing has some cranking amps to it. Good Luck!!!!!

check other post i just copied and pasted my other reply on "push button AWD"

Old 01-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

yea the same thing happens to my 02. and i think it is a power problem cuz sometimes i will go to start it and the n light will come on but i hit the starter and everything dies out but then sometimes it is fine. i think i will get a new battery but first in gonna check my ground and check the connections on the battery and the..... crap i cant think of the name. oh man, oh yea the solenoid and then if it still does it then just cahnge the battery.

cuz sometimes in the woods i get to straight aways and go to hit the gass and barely speeed up cuz im spinning then one in the fton locks in and pulls me straight and i just go( but other times when it kicks in i lose control to)

Old 01-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

I just want to clarify my problem some more here. When it's turned on, the 4x4 system works perfectly fine, both front hubs stay engaged. When I turn it OFF (or into 2 wheel drive mode), then I get one of the front hubs briefly locking in and out. This only noticed whenever I'm punching the gas and spinning the rear tires, make sense? I'm trying to find out why a front hub would engage briefly then disengage when I have the 4x4 system turned OFF.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

that happens to mine to but it only happens if the back tires are spinning fast enough. i was thinking maybe its supposed to like a safety thing for is your losing traction or soemthing one will lock in, like it can tell if your on ice or w/e.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: garrett5462
that happens to mine to but it only happens if the back tires are spinning fast enough. i was thinking maybe its supposed to like a safety thing for is your losing traction or soemthing one will lock in, like it can tell if your on ice or w/e.
Yep same here, the back tires have to be really spinning before I feel a front hub grab. I doubt it would be a safety thing as it could cause you to lose control while steering. I'm thinking it has something more to do with whatever mechanical componant keeps the hub from engaging but is overcome when the shaft into the hub spins fast enough...

Old 01-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Range Rover

is it the right front hub lots of the polaris's have this problem, sportsman,ect

Quick Reply: 2000 Scrambler 4x4 problem?