Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD problem Help need ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD problem

This is a strange one for me!!!!

Problem: AWD kicks in while going at slow speed usually between 5 to 15 miles per hour. Making it almost impossible to steer or ride for that matter, just seems to buck like crazy... Now I changed the fluid twice in the past 3 weeks and after each time it seems to get worse. This past change I even flushed it out with fresh fluid draining and replacing again so basically changing it 3 times in 3 weeks.

My question is am I on the right track or should I bite the bullet and rip out the hilliard in the garage or take to dealer? And if I take it to the dealer what am I looking at as far as bill?

JUST ADDED BELOW:::

I changed the hub fluid again found metal (or seems to be metal) shavings in the fluid... The magnet on the drain plug was loaded with them....

Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default AWD problem

i dont know about the 2004's but out old magnum had that problem once. The reason for it was because the dealer gave us the wrong type of grease, and it made the 4x4 kick in without asking it too. The kind they gave us was too hard of a grease and when it was cold out it would happen....dont know if it would apply to your situation...but a simillar situation I guess

Old 01-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default AWD problem

only use the front gear drive fluid in the font end , some dealers are giving out hub fluid instead. Do a search on this forum I,ve seen several threads.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default AWD problem Help need ADVICE

Changed it with front gear drive fliud ( thanks Kerbbirds) but didn't do a thing to help... Now my question is how difficult is it to remove and fix the the front clutch? I've seen on some threads that its around $500 and I refuse to pay that... I have a service manual for input but would like to hear from someone who has done it.... I can only assume that the cage and plates are shot, but I will find out once all ripped apart.... Like I said in the above edited post there was or is shavings in the fluid. I tried flushing with a slim hope that it would help but I know that it did nothing....

So I plan to rip into it this weekend but need all of the advise I can get.... HELP!!!!

Old 01-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

check the two wires going into the hub, my brother had problems with his in that area, the two wires were touching every now and then causing the awd to kick in and out, Good luck.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

With my 2004.5 during my 100hr service, my dealer put the wrong front diff fluid in, he put the gear oil not the on demand fluid. Within 10 miles my hillard was fried. From what I understand, if you are supposed to put on demand fluid in and you put gear oil, it will damage the hillard. and vise versa. In 2004 they changed the fluid mid year. Some dealers say on demand fluid, and others gear oil. You need to double check what the proper fluid is. If there is damage, just putting in the right fluid will not fix it, (Once there is damage). Now if you did put the correct fluid in the first place, and it still does not work, I have no idea. Mine had tons of metal shavings when they put the wrong fluid in. My dealer did take responsability and attempted to fix the hillard. They were unable to fix it and that's why I have a new quad. I think it was a mechanic thing, not being able to fix it. I know the parts were very expensive too. Good luck. My quad was a 2004.5 500HO.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Redmtn, Yeah mine originally had hub fluid and that is what was in it untill Sunday when I changed it for atleast the 7th time in 2 years. I was out of it so I went to the dealer to get more and they said to use on demand drive fluid since Polaris changed it (???)...

So I bought it and went home to change and flush it out and refill with new stuff. As soon as I opened the drain there was the shavings (loaded with them) so I quess its off to the dealer to let them fix it.

I want to do it myself but I won't have the time to do it till go knows when... May even just trade it in a 05 700 carb they have on the floor and will let it go for 6300 otd

Old 01-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Does it do it at higher speeds than that?

Old 01-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

I would have to say no. I fastest I was able to go is 15 then it would kick in, but now it will kick in within feet no matter the speed.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

RobRuf,
Be careful, before you drive your quad with the on demand fluid in it, check again if it is the right fluid. In 2004 the "500HO's" had the outboard hubs with hub fluid in them. Mid year they came out with a 2004.5 and it had the centralized hillard system like the 700's with the on demand fluid. I would check again if your quad has the outboard hubs or the central hillard system. I only know about the 500's, the 2004 mag might be different.

Quick Reply: AWD problem Help need ADVICE